Friday, December 12, 2008

At Last

I am finally an official graduate of BYU with a Bachelor's Degree in Marriage, Family, and Human Development. You may have thought that I already was graduated. You may have heard it straight from my mouth. But, alas, I was not. I left BYU with one class - ONE CLASS - unfinished. It was my advanced English G.E., English 315.

Jakob was ready to graduate and I only had one class left, a class that was offered through Independent Study. I was a dutiful wife, left BYU with my husband, and planned on completing that class through Independent Study over the summer. Well, I was so sick of school. And so sick of having to study academics when all I really wanted to do was study my baby, Kobe. And, they let me dress in a cap and gown and walk. They even handed me something that felt like a diploma. I felt graduated. So I took the summer off and decided I would complete the course in the fall.

Six years, three babies, one move, and one failed attempt at completing the course ($600!) later, I FINALLY FINISHED THE CLASS! Two summers ago, I stopped by BYU and paid for the course AGAIN, bought all the books, and vowed that this would be the year. I wanted to get it done before Tate was born, but June came and passed and I wasn't even close.

It was touch-and-go at the end. I even had to buy a time extension. I thought going to school with one baby was hard six years ago, but completing one course with one baby + three kids was a nightmare. I don't know how all the other student moms do it continually. Jakob was super supportive and made deals with me like, "I'll go and buy you a Snicker's Blizzard if you study for an hour." That's all it took. I was diligent in my studies EVERY DAY after that promise.

(We were really happy graduation day because we thought we were going to be rich soon. The world was so hopeful back then. Kids.)

I actually finished the course in November, but my final came with a traumatic experience that shook me up a bit, so I put off posting about it until now. I had to take my final exam through a proctor. I made an appointment to take it on a Thursday night at 7pm. The proctor turned out to be an 85-year-old woman who gives tests out of her apartment. She sat on her couch, knitting and watching 'Law & Order', while I took my final in the next room. It was a handwritten final and the last question was writing an entire page essay.

After 2 hours, just as I was getting ready to start my essay, Proctor Granny came into my room and said, "I had no idea your final was going to take this long. This is too late for me. I need you to leave." I was freakin' out. I asked for 20 more minutes and she annoyingly agreed. I wrote like the wind sentences like, "My research paper was interesting because my topic was good. I chose my topic because it was interesting. My sources were good because they supported my topic and they were interesting."

After the final I should have been jumping for joy because I was finished, but I was kind of traumatized. I wrote my instructor and told her the situation, and she was very sympathetic. (After I bought my time extension, my instructor was sugary-sweet to me. I'm sure she was just thinking, "Finish this course already, you idiot!")

Anyway, I eventually calmed down, got an A on my final, and GOT AN A IN THE CLASS! And this class was stinkin' hard. Possibly my hardest BYU class ever.

I am officially graduated. And, although my diploma will say December 2008, I will always claim my graduation date to be April 2002. I am pretty proud of myself for starting college, getting married, having a baby, and graduating in 4 1/2 years. Plus, I cannot let the hours of hypnotizing Kobe with Baby Mozart - so that I could study - be for naught.

15 comments:

Greg and Abbey said...

Great GREAT job Mindy!
I am SOOOO proud of you for finishing that last class! That took A LOT of self-motivation. I'm so proud of you! I love that the woman was watching Law and Order. There's no way I could take a final while someone's tv was on! I love you though and the way you describe things!

Jill said...

You got an A on an independent study class? You must be some sort of super hero!

Marcie said...

Congrats! I am glad and admire how you were able to do all of that. Oh, baby mozart! I remember those days. It was the best babysitter ever. I can't get over how little Kobe is. Crazy, where has the time gone?

Olivia said...

Okay, we NEED to celebrate! Blizzards all around! and I'm buying you a present. CALL ME!

I'm so happy for you that you did it!!! You are a degree-holding college GRADUATE!!!

And if it makes you feel any better about it taking so long, I'm still a junior, and it's been eight years since I started college. I'm going for some kind of a record at this point.

Stina said...

Congrats! I have been meaning to ask you about the status of your class, but was a little afraid to ask b/c I knew it was so hard. So I'm SO HAPPY that you are now on the other end of it and totally finished with school! That anecdote about your final is so classic - what is it with old people!?!? (Haha, it seems funny that my last comment was all about helping nursing home residents and now I'm all annoyed with old people again.)

Congratulations Mindy! You have so many accomplishments beyond school, but I know it is very important for you to be a full-fledged college graduate and I'm so proud of you!

Rachel B. said...

Good girl for getting it done! That would be so hard to do without somebody hounding you down about it. And as for hypnotizing with Baby Einstein...um I need to think of some excuse quick for why Reese watches so much.

Rachel said...

way to go...what an accomplishment!

Adventures In The Land Of Hahl said...

congrats mindy!!!

Becky said...

Congratulations! Do you get to read Breaking Dawn now, or did that not last?

I had a bad experience with an independent study course, too, years ago when I was still a full-time student. Extensions, secretly studying and taking the test because I had already told my parents I was finished...But at least my final was proctored in a local library. That would be so weird to do it your way!

Shanna said...

Way to go Mindy! That takes a lot of dedication to go to school with kids. I am still planning on finishing...someday. I got my associates and went back 4 years ago to get my bachelors. That lasted 1 semester. I found out a couple weeks into the semester I was pregnant and very sick. I think that is very cool that you can say you are done! Oh and I totally relate about leaving BYU with Jess and thinking we had it made and would make lots of money. There is still time though. :) I always foret to read your blog and it is so adorable. Do you care if add you on my sidebar? Then I can always read yours! You have a great blog.

Jill said...

Holy cow!!!!!! What a funny story, but probably not to you. Way to go though. That is awesome you finished and accomplished it. You are so cool!!!! Our lesson in YW today was about choosing a vocation and getting an education. You go girl!

Liz Cheney said...

Holy cow that is AWESOME! I didn't go to college and everyday regret it. Now I just think it is too late! Maybe when the kids are out of the house....

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! After hearing your story, I'm a firm believer that out of everyone who has ever taken English 315, your class was probably the hardest! Between 4 kids and your proctor, I think you win for having the roughest time and making it through with an A! :) Hooray!
Wish I was in town so we could celebrate!

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Congrats! Independent Study is so hard. I would have been motivated by the blizzards too.

Natalie said...

So proud of you! That is no easy task with four kids, as you said. Can't believe that Granny procter lady. And loved the picture of your Wyview apartment!! Baby Mozart is the best. :)