Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Host

On Monday night, my good friend, Kim, and I went to a Stephenie Meyer book signing for her new book 'The Host'. Last week we had to rush to a book store right when it opened to get in line to buy 'The Host' and buy a ticket to this book signing. It was very intense. But we got there in good time and got great tickets - #259 and #264. I knew I wouldn't get to read the book before the signing, but I was fine with being spoiled. I still haven't read it, but Kim says it is great.

It was a crowded auditorium of fans and it was so much fun. Stephenie came out and answered pre-selected questions for a 1/2 hour. My question - "Will you be my friend?" - wasn't selected. :) My camera is going bad. Really bad. So I couldn't get a very clear picture of her answering questions. But she was very cute and funny and likable. Then she started to sign and Kim and I just chatted until our group of numbers was called.

I knew that Stephenie deals with thousands of fans all the time and probably gets tired of small talk. But I have a gigantic, pregnant belly and I was hoping that would spark up some little conversation with Stephenie Meyer. And it did! Here's the dialogue:

STEPHENIE: (Seeing the post-it with my name on it.) Mindy? Mindy from 'York and Mindy'? I totally read your blog! Will you be my friend??????





























Just kidding. That's how it always goes in my dreams. Here was the real dialogue:

WORKER LADY: (Seeing my pregnant belly.) Oh, my! We usually try and spot people like you in line so that we can let you sit down.
ME: That would've been nice. (Not sarcastically. Genuine. That really would've been nice.)
WORKER LADY: But your belly is very camouflaged.
ME: It doesn't feel camouflaged.

(Ha, ha. Then I was up to Stephenie.)

STEPHENIE: When are you due?
ME: Two weeks. This is my fourth boy.
STEPHENIE: That is why I stopped at three. (She has three boys.)
ME: Yeah, I wanted to tell you that this is what happens when you try again.

(Ha, ha.)

STEPHENIE: Do you know what you are going to name him?
ME: Tate.
STEPHENIE: I like that. We knew a Tate and we called him Tater.
ME: Yeah, that's cute. Thank you!

The end. It was AWESOME!!!!!!! Kim heard the whole thing, so she stands as witness that if Stephenie uses the name Tate in one of her books, the idea was sparked with me! It was an awesome night and I can't wait until we somehow become friends someday. Thanks, Kim, for an awesome, fun night!

7 comments:

Marcie said...

That is awesome! I am now reading the host. What a cool conversation. You lucky girl. I am sure she will love the time when you two can have play dates and talk about new ideas for her books.

Stina said...

What an awesome night! I haven't picked up The Host yet; I'm still waiting to see if my friends like it before I take the plunge. So you will have to let me know if it's worth it.

I read this post before your "Update" post so I was thinking "Man, that is a sneaky way to announce your baby's name!" but then I realized you already did the reveal. You had such an intimate conversation with Stephenie, what a lucky girl!

Jenn said...

I am so jealous! I can't wait to hear about the new book!

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

My sister-in-law bought the book and got a free ticket for the book signing in Utah. She ended up selling the ticket on Craigslist for $100. Can you believe it?

Jill said...

How cool is that. Isn't Stephanie LDS? I haven't read any of the books yet. I KNOW. Don't throw rocks at me just yet...we are reading it for book club next month (twilight). I can't wait!

kim said...

let me know what you think of the book. sounds like you and kim had so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to get that book - let me know if you like it! That's awesome that you got to go to the book signing.