
For those of you who are obsessed with Stephenie Meyers "Twilight" series as I am, I present to you a picture of who I imagine the main characters Edward and Bella to be. Edward is Henry Cavill, who Stephenie Meyer recommended for Edward on her website. I totally agree with her judgement, as this is exactly what I imagined Edward to be. For Bella, I cast an unknown actress. In this picture she's 17 and in high school, but very mature. Even though flocks of boys are dying for her attention, she still doesn't believe she's beautiful. She has dreams of becoming an actress, and I think starring in "Twilight", the movie, will definitely catapult her career. Of course, by the time "Twilight" is made into a movie, she'll probably be in her thirties with four children. But she does moisturize every morning.
Last night, after an hour of many squeals and sighs, I finished "Eclipse", the third book in the "Twilight" series. Awesome, awesome, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jakob was out of town, the boys were in bed, and I devoted my full attention to finishing this book. I loved it. I have already read Denae's and Christina's posts with their thoughts about the book, so now I will share mine. Of course, be mindful, spoilers ahead:
- CANNOT get enough of the scene in Edward's room when they're on the bed. Something about being married and old makes it totally okay for me to enjoy this awesomely intimate moment. The way he proposes with the ring, the intensity of the kissing, the complete self control of Edward. Wow. I'm so glad I was able to talk to Christina shortly after I read that so that we could giggle about it together. But the whole time I'm reading it, I'm thinking, "Does the author know my husband? Did she pattern Edward's character after him?" :)
- I also love the tent scene. So well written. Edward in the corner, knowing he can't be with Bella because he'd only make her cold. Edward having to allow Jacob to snuggle up with Bella because he knows that will help her. Jacob torturing Edward with his dirty thoughts. And the way they candidly share their feelings toward Bella with each other.
- I have never loved Bella. I find her annoying at times. But I read quickly, almost skimming through a lot of her ridiculous dialogue, and I substitute her with a character that I can live with. Thus, what I imagine Bella to be is very likable. So I hope when they make the movie I am not shocked at how unbearable her true personality can be.
- Unlike many, I like Jacob Black. I knew we were supposed to, so I did. She wrote him as very good looking in "New Moon", so I changed my previous imaginings of Jacob, the child, to Jacob, the tall muscular man-hunk. And he's just such a nice guy who cares so much for Bella and is just good. I WISH I could've hated him this whole time like many other readers. It would've made the story easier. But I NEVER wanted Bella to choose him. What annoys me the most is that, by Bella choosing Edward, someone has to get hurt. Why can't they be together and everyone be happy? But no, there has to be drama. And as much as I loved "Eclipse", they, of course, had to include that last chapter with Jacob so hurt. I wish he would just disappear or imprint already.
- Even though I never want Jacob and Bella to be together, I did enjoy their kiss. I love the way she writes passion.
- I can't wait for the next book. The wedding, the hanky-panky, the transformation. But is anyone else worried that she's going to start writing from Jacob's perspective? That last chapter kind of threw me off and got me worried. If she listens to her fans, I think she wouldn't dare, but from reading her website, I know she REALLY likes Jacob, and I'm afraid she's going to force him on us.
- Don't you just love Alice? And Carlisle?
- What else????? Oh, yeah. I missed the book signing. I got the dates mixed up and missed it. I was so depressed when I found out. But a friend of mine took her daughters to it (both Tweens, by the way), and said it was total chaos. Tons of teenagers with homemade posters and T-shirts and screaming. At first I was so confused. I had imagined it would be a quiet gathering of twenty-something women sitting in a circle and discussing the book with Stephenie. Then it dawned on me that this book was written for TEENAGERS!!!!!! Ah, to be young again. A couple of the T-shirts I thought were funny: "I'M EDWARD, SEARCHING FOR MY BELLA." And, "THE ONLY REASON JACOB HASN'T IMPRINTED YET IS BECAUSE HE HASN'T MET ME." Mine would've read: "THANKS A LOT FOR REMINDING ME OF HOW OLD I AM AND THEN FOR CREATING A CHARACTER WHO NEVER WOULD'VE LOVED ME ANYWAY, EVEN IF I WAS YOUNG." Just kidding.
- Thank you Michiko and Christina for telling me to read these books!
Voila! The end. Magic. See you all Fall 2008 for "Breaking Dawn"!
PS I just watched this video and it kind of made me LOVE Jacob Black! What the.....?
5 comments:
You are soooo FUNNY. What a beautiful actress you have cast, she totally reminds me of someone ... can't put my finger on it but I am sure it will come to me!
I sure love your blogs, they make my day.
Love you sweetie, Mom
You and your photoshop skills... amazing! And hilarious! I am glad to read your analysis of the book. You are just too kind of a person to hate Jacob whereas people with no hearts like me can easily dismiss him. But I agree that imagining him as a "man-hunk" makes it much easier to like him; but somehow I can't get there, I still imagine an annoying pest that gets in the way of Bella being completely free to love Edward fully.
I LOVE THIS PICTURE OF BELLA! Who is this unknown actress?!?! Beautiful. However, I have to disagree with this picture of Edward. He is too innocent looking and not tough enough for me... maybe too youngish too.
But I agree with so many of your points. Loved the tent scene! Still hate Jacob Black though... he sexually assaulted her with his disgusting forced kiss.
I agree that Bella is annoying. I was mad at her so much this last book.
And lastly I'm so happy to hear that there is another book coming. I totally didn't know that and was dying over the end of this book! Thank heavens there will be more.
I love the photoshop picture. I didn't read the bullet points because I am going to start the first book in two weeks...so I didn't want to spoil it. I will have to check back on your thoughts when I finish reading the series. PS-I am starting it in two weeks because I am going on a little weekend trip (by myself). Cory must have heard me talking to you about your NY trip.
Mindy! You totally make me laugh!! You have the greatest posts. I love the picture of Bella. So perfect for the part. Ok, I have really loved the Twilight series! I agree with so many of your assessments of Eclipse. Loved the scene in Edward's room on the bed (sigh). And the tent scene was great to read. Truthfully, I really like Jacob too, and I hope he finds someone to love other than Bella so that Bella & Edward can be happy. There's no way I want Bella to choose Jacob, even though I really do think he's totally likeable and very good looking. And although Jacob could be kind of ornery sometimes, his last kiss with Bella was "warm, tender, and very very sweet..." The last chapter of the book made me sad for Jacob, sad for the pain Edward was feeling and DYING to know more. Can I really wait another year for book four? I just don't know! I did read on the FAQ section of the author's website that she won't change Bella as the narrator. Speaking of Bella, many times she made me mad too. I wished she could be a little less selfish and try to do more to make Edward happy. And, yes, I love Alice. And Carlisle. And especially Emmett. They had a book signing here too, but I missed it because I just didn't want to drag all my kiddos along. Fun stuff. I've read the books more than once, which has made me appreciate that it's a great love story.
Post a Comment