WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THE MOVIES 'PREMONITION' AND 'THE PAINTED VEIL'. DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU
1. HAVE NOT SEEN AND WANT TO SEE THESE MOVIES, OR
2. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY WATCHED THESE MOVIES, AND LIKED THEM.
1. HAVE NOT SEEN AND WANT TO SEE THESE MOVIES, OR
2. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY WATCHED THESE MOVIES, AND LIKED THEM.
So, as random as random can be, the top two movies on our Netflix queue were 'The Painted Veil', a movie for me, and 'Premonition', a movie for Jake and me. Thursday was a laundry day for me, so I decided to watch 'The Painted Veil' while I was sorting and folding. At first I loved it. The beautiful scenery of China, the 1920's era. I loved the actors. I loved the love story. I love that they learned to love each other over time and finally felt passionately toward each other. And then, like a bolt of lightening, Edward Norton's character dies. Are you kidding me? Why? The movie resolves with Naomi Watt's character realizing that she truly loved her husband. She becomes a new person and has a new outlook on life. And she's pregnant.
That night, after the kids were in bed, Jakey and I decided to watch 'Premonition' together. Right from the start, it's a little creepy. Husband dies, husbands alive. The days are mixed up and the daughter gets scratches all over her face. And the music is tense the entire time. But, throughout the course of events, Sandra Bullock's character and her indifferent husband discover that they do love each other and want to be together. So when she finally realizes that she wants her husband to live and decides to stop his death, her husband dies anyway. This time for real. What the.......? The movie resolves with Sandra Bullock's character realizing that she truly loved her husband. She becomes a new person and has a new outlook on life. And she's pregnant.
First of all, when did it start becoming fashionable to kill off a main character at the end of a movie again? Wasn't that an 80's thing? 'Steel Magnolias', 'Terms of Endearment', etc.
And second of all, am I lacking my own 'premonition'? It can't be just a coincidence that I watched both of these movies on the same day. Were they both trying to tell me something? Having your husband die seems to be all the rage, and I have been quite trendy lately. Hmmm. I'm not pregnant, thank goodness, or I feel my fate would be sealed.
Lastly, can I just request that all movies end happily? I used to be game for movies that left you thinking. Analyzing life and death and how people cope. But now that my life is basically just coping through each day, when I finally get the opportunity to watch a movie from start to finish, I want it to take me away, to another place. I should probably just rent more musicals.
4 comments:
Dear Mindy,
You should be a movie critique, your review was right on the mark!! And quite funny at that! Keep up with the great blog, I love reading it!!
I love you baby, Mom
I'm so glad you had the same reaction as me to "Premonition." After it was finished, I was just like "How is this a good ending to this movie?" I had a lot of issues with it in general even though I love Sandra Bullock.
Also, thanks for warning me against The Painted Veil. Have you seen Hairspray yet? I haven't and I keep hearing that it is so good!
I have only seen the painted veil but felt the same as you about it! what the?!?! NO! I don't like the death of a main character! I do think it is strange that you watched those 2 movies on the same day and they were the same. So weird.
Ok, we were going to rent Premonition, but the guy at Blockbuster said, "Actually, every employee here hated it..." Now I see why! And I'm totally with you on the happy ending thing!! When I watch shows, they need to be fulfilling, uplifting, entertaining, and end happy. Not too much to ask!
Post a Comment