Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Usual

"So, Mindy. How was your day yesterday?"

Oh, just the usual. Kobe had school, Luke had preschool. Ran a bunch of errands. Took Kobe to the dentist and orthodontist. THEN RUSHED KOBE TO THE ER IN THE AFTERNOON FOR SOME STITCHES. Again.

Are you freakin kidding me?????? I once wrote a post about Kobe having a bit of growth spurt clumsiness, but this was not a case of the clumsies. Kobe is destined for pain. He was playing football in our neighbors yard, tripped or got tackled (that's still under debate), and his knee got sliced open on their metal landscape divider. Don't continue to read if you have a sensitive stomach. The cut was so deep that it went straight to his knee cap and sliced it as well. It looked like a big chunk of his knee was missing, but the cut was so deep it just basically opened up his knee. Like a fillet.

It was very traumatic. Lots of blood and screaming. My neighbor immediately tore up all of the metal dividers right after, and if any of you have those in your yard, I suggest you do the same. When we went into the ER, a nurse quipped that those metal dividers keep them in business. One little girl almost lost a toe last week.

We had to stay in the ER for a few hours because we had to have an orthopedic consult because it affected the bone. They numbed the area topically, and then really went at it examining it. I was able to watch the whole time which made me feel pretty tough. I credit all of my blood tolerance to "Grey's Anatomy". I've never looked at bone before, so that was pretty cool. Kobe was, as always, a true champion. Such a tough boy. They gave him seven stitches and then wrapped his leg in some hefty gauze and an ace bandage to keep it from bending. On the way home I let him choose a place for a late dinner. He chose Burger King because he really likes their fries. He says they taste very 'french'. :)

Last night was a beast. I was so exhausted by the time we got home that Kobe and I just immediately went to bed. Kobe woke up crying at 2:00am in some extreme pain. I looked everywhere only to discover we were out of any sort of pain medicine. So I ran to the grocery store at two in the morning to stock up while Jakob gave Kobe a blessing. I got him his medicine, but he was in so much pain that he was inconsolable. But, like the clever mommy I am, I realized he needed some distraction and offered to put some High School Musical 2 songs on my ipod for him to listen to in our bed. He had told me earlier that his favorite song is "Bet On It". He likes it because it's rock 'n roll. :) It took 20 minutes to get it all situated and then he listened to it for an hour. Then more medicine. I've basically been awake since 2 am.

So that was the highlight of yesterday, I hope the highlight of the week. In far less scary, but equally dramatic news, I got stung by a bee last week. We went to the train park again on Saturday, and while the boys were in the stream playing I was walking on the grass barefoot. It felt like I stepped on the sharpest, thickest thorn ever and when I looked down to take it out, a bee was attached to my toe. Denae can appreciate how traumatic that would be. I swatted it off and hopped over to Jakob to have him fish out the stinger. I've never been stung by a bee, and it hurts like a mother! It was throbbing for hours after. I think I totally embarrassed Jakob at the park because I could not get a hold of myself. I kept asking anyone within a 20 ft. radius what I should do to stop the pain.

It's been five days and my toe is still throbbing. It feels like the bone is broken. Is that normal? So we're basically a mess over here, as usual. When my brother called and asked how my day was, I said, "Just the usual." He said, "So you wish you were dead?" He knows me so well. :)

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh, Mindy, I'm so sorry to hear about Kobe! He is pretty brave! You must be so tired. Loved the part about your brother calling ... "So, you wish you were dead?" So funny. Sorry about the bee sting too. That is the worst! The only thing that stops the pain for me is making a paste of cool water and baking soda and applying it to the site. I Hope it has stopped hurting!

D-dawg said...

MINDY!!!!!!!!!! What is going on over there? Why are these things happening to you?!?!?!? I am so incredibly sorry about Kobe's knee. I can't believe you watched, I could never do that. I really hope he feels better soon.... I hate when my kids are in pain! You need a vacation!

And I won't even start on the bee cause I feel scared and traumatized just thinking about it. I need to call you.

Stina said...

Wow. I can't believe the trauma in your house these past few days! The bee sting alone would have been cause for alarm and now Kobe's knee! You are so brave for watching them examine it and for not passing out at the sight of the bone. I am really going to have to toughen up before I become a mom. Hang in there!

Rachel B. said...

I can't stop laughing about the "so you wish you were dead" line. Your life definitely is a lot more exciting than mine! Just give me a few years and a couple kids more and maybe I'll be wishing I was dead too. I stepped on a bee on a beach during my honeymoon so I know exactly the pain you're talking about. You described it perfectly. Although, I'm not sure it should still be hurting. So that is pretty darn nasty about Kobe's knee. Good luck with all the recoveries!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kobs,

What a bummer little baby. You sure seem to have your share of boo boo’s. Your knee looks so nasty and dangerous. You'll have a cool scar just like Papaw!!
I hope all went well today and you are feeling better. I love you sweetie, Love, Nanny

Min,

Sorry about your bee sting, they are so painful, hopefully it won't happen again, BUT if it does smell around and find a 'smoker' see if he/she could spare a cigarette (a cigar would do nicely too), rip off the wrap, moist the tobacco and place it on the bee sting. This might be just an old wise tale, but it is supposed to draw out the venom. It is worth a try!

Love you baby, Mom

Anonymous said...

Scary! I'm sorry! No more trips to the ER, I hope. Way to be tough Kobe!

About the bee sting, look it up online. Wasp and bee stings are different, one you have to apply an acid to neutralize the basic stinger, the other is the opposite, but I can't remember which is which. Maika was stung when he was little, and this was the trick my brother used and it worked like a charm - minimal swelling, and he stopped crying immediately.

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

How many trips to the ER have you taken recently? I lose count...seriously, I am so sorry you had to go again. I am glad Kobe is doing alright. What is the scoop on his bone? I hope his knee heals quickly. Hang in there girl!!!

D-dawg said...

Mindy, Dave told me the other night when I told him about the bee sting, that the stingers are like bulbs, so if you grab it and pinch it to pull it out it releases more venom inside of you. Maybe that is why yours is hurting so much. Dave said you are supposed to use a credit card to like wipe it off real quick or something. I don't know why he's such an expert but just thought I'd tell you. Hope it's better!