Friday, March 16, 2007

Some Nice Advice

This month for card group we changed the theme to "Home Decor". We're all supposed to bring some tips or advice about decorating our homes. Well, I just happen to have the ultimate resource with a quick phone call - my sister-in-law, Suzanne. Suzanne studied interior design at Utah State and won all kinds of awards and accolades there, including an internship to Scotland and an internship with 'Southern Living' magazine. Now she's graduated and a true professional, so I'm so glad she helped me out for FREE! She emailed me some basic, everyday tips and I thought they were so great I wanted to share them with you! Although I now realize I'm a 'decorating victim' who needs to change and rearrange a few things. Here they are:

Design Tips:
  • Hang art, mirrors, etc. at eye level. Not the eye level of your 6' 4" husband, but at an average height. It is meant to be seen.
  • Don't try to match your artwork to your sofa and rug. Artwork should be your statement pieces. Buy what you absolutely love, and it will look good in your home.
  • Never paint a bedroom red. Even if it is the color of aggression, no one looks good waking up in a red bedroom.
  • Mix the old with the new. Hang a gaudy gilt mirror above an aged hand-painted credenza. The juxtaposition is refreshing.
  • Be wary of themes or limited color schemes. Unless your style is contemporary or you’re trying to pull off a monochromatic room, find a fabric, rug, or something with some variation to pull from. If art is your inspiration, buy it before you buy everything else. You want your house to grow with you, so buy things you will love forever...even if it's pricier. You can call it an investment.
  • Make a tear file. We all love magazines. Don’t be afraid to tear out what you love, because in a few months, when you finally have the money to redo your bedroom, you won’t be able to find that picture. Get a fat binder and categorize everything.
  • Build collections. Whether its art, china, or Lladros (I had to look this up. Lladros are popular, high quality porcelain figurines). These are what will leave lasting impressions and identify you from your neighbor.

6 comments:

D-dawg said...

I want more! Thanks for those tips. How nice to have an interior design professional in your family. I love little tips like that! If you get more at your group, share them with us! I think I need to go lower my mirror in the living room......

Stina said...

I especially love the tip about hanging things at average height level and not your tall husband's. Dave hung some pictures in our upstairs hallway and I can barely see them! Decorating is definitely challenging for me so I'm glad you posted those handy tips!

Rachel B. said...

Those are pretty good tips. My dream is to hire an interior designer someday. That's funny about the red bedroom because at one point I almost did that. Guess it's a good thing I held off. By the way, you are the cutest mom with Kobe's birthday party and all the other creative things you do with them. I must say that Jude is pretty darn cute himself, so I agree that he and Reese should definitely get together when they're off at BYU. :)

Jamis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yea, Thanks for the great Interior decorating tips!!! I will have to apply these tips to where I am living. Did Suzanne happen to mention any tips for people who live in 1890 old brown log cabins? Nothing seems to work. jk

Natalie said...

I remember your previous post showing pictures of Suzanne's wedding. She is very talented, I have to agree. I needed these tips. I'm going crazy with my house, and unsure of what to do next. You'll have to ask her a tasteful way to have a collection of things without making your space seem cluttered. That's my big problem, so I don't collect anyting really. Thanks for sharing the tips!