Thursday, March 01, 2007

Lobotomy

There are three reasons that I go awhile without posting. Those are:
  1. No Time. There are weeks where I am just really busy with life and projects and deadlines (birthday parties, ward choir stuff, etc.) that I just don't have time to sit at the computer and write a post.
  2. No Stories. Sometimes I feel like I have nothing important or interesting in my life to document. I know that everyone feels this way, but the truth is that there's always something that we can share. Some of my favorite posts I read are about the daily grind of life. But, nonetheless, sometimes I am convinced that my week has been the most boring, uneventful week in history.
  3. No Brain. This is the current diagnosis. This is why I have not been regularly posting on my blog lately. Since I have been watching an extra baby every day (it is only three days a week, but who can count when they have no brain) my life has become one robotic routine where I go through the motions, but am completely unconscious. No thoughts. I am like a zombie just filling one request after another, fulfilling one need and then another. I am pulled in so many directions by all these kids, housework, driving to and from school, and the call of the computer that days ago my circuits just snapped. I've been thoughtless ever since.

I have attempted to write a new post quite a few times this week. But no luck. I just sit there staring at the computer screen like someone who has been.....give me a minute.....still thinking....drugged? Hypnotized? I'm at a loss. Truth be told, it has already taken me 1/2 hour to write this much. Give me a little cheer for morale. "You can do it, Mindy!" "You can finish this post!"

At the end of the day after everything is done and I am alone, the only thing I have the intelligence for is navigating the remote control and choosing TV programs to watch. So that's what I will share with you today. My DVRed programs.

  • Monday Night: The only thing scheduled to record Monday night is '24' for Jakob. So this is the night I catch up on all my random programs or movies that are on my list. This includes anything from the History Channel (I currently have 'Witch Hunt' and 'The History of Ice' on my schedule) as well as the long list of movies from TCM I recorded in February. It was 'The Month of the Oscars' so they showed all Oscar winning movies uninterrupted all month. I'm going to have to do a little prioritizing (it took me three minutes to come up with that word) and deleting because it would take me until Jude graduates to get through all those films. I also catch up on any 'Oprah' that I haven't finished.
  • Tuesday Night: Here we have the three night trilogy, American Idol. I haven't been into American Idol for a few years, but I decided I was making a comeback. Not because I have been impressed by this group of people, but because...nothing else to watch on Tuesdays, I guess. There is also an occasional new 'Inside the Actor's Studio' recorded which makes me very happy. That show is definitely in my top 5.
  • Wednesday Night: 'Lost', of course. But sometimes I want to be nice and watch it with Jakey, so I bide my time watching American Idol again.
  • Thursday Night: 'The Office'. My favorite show these days. Then I just fast forward through American Idol to see who was voted off.
  • Friday/Saturday Night: Hopefully one of these nights is a date. The other is used for Husband and Wife TV time. This is where we watch 'Lost' together and 'The Amazing Race'.

So that's my list. I know it must seem like I watch a lot of TV, but it's probably only 1-2 hours a night. I agree with you that I should be doing better things with my time. But I can't. I can't, I tell you! Until my intellect wakes from it's coma, this is all can I do.

Yeah! I did it! A new post!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Mindy: Loved your post. I can totally relate. I usually have grand plans for projects and things I should be doing in the evening after the kids are in bed, however, there's one problelm: NO ENERGY! It seems my last bit of strength is used up when I kiss the last kid goodnight. After that, most nights all I can do is watch TV. (We don't have DVR yet but I'm dying to get it...)

And about the diagnosis of no brain? It's as if I was reading about my life! A few months ago, I decided to work at the daycare center at the YMCA (it's only 15 hours a week and it will be great to earn the extra money, and a free membership, I kept telling myself). But, it was so hard, and I felt like I was losing my mind. I couldn't keep good track of all the details of my family anymore. I ultimately had to quit, it was just enough to push me over the edge. Props to you for taking care of another little baby. I'm sure you'll find your groove soon! The first weeks are always the hardest.

Sorry for such a long response :)

D-dawg said...

I can relate also. The no brain is hard to deal with. For me it comes and goes. Like the day I forgot Lexi at school... that was a no brain day. But for sure it has gotten better for me as Macey has gotten older. Just remember you have a baby! Babies suck your brain out. And now you are caring for another baby! When they get older you'll start to feel more "with it." As for TV, I am lame and watch the news a lot. The office is my favorite right now and Gilmore girls (o:

Anonymous said...

Great new post. I also think that the random posts about daily life are the best to read, b/c then I feel like we are just chatting on the phone about our days. As you know, I also love TV. May I suggest "America's Next Top Model"? It just started its new season last week and I love it. It is on UPN Tuesday nights (I think -- it just shows up on my DVR). Also, "Lost" and "Amazing Race" are our "Couple TV time" shows too!!!