I really wanted to only do the big reveal of our kitchen when we were completely done with it. This is not going to work out for two reasons:
1. We ran out of insurance money, so the finishing touches are slow-moving, paycheck dependent.
2. We have been "forced" to start another home project. I'm not going to tell you what it is yet, because I don't want that pressure this time around. But, I will say that Sari's comment on my first kitchen post, comparing it to "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..." was so right on. That is so exactly what my projects turn into.
So, I just wanted to show you all the kitchen for now. When we do someday finish all the leftover details, I'll be sure to post a picture.

As a reminder, here is what the kitchen looked like when we moved in.

Here are pictures of the kitchen during our months and months of agonizing renovation.
Taped up and ready for painting.
Our painting contraption I set up for the cabinet and drawer fronts.
Painting was horrific. The sprayer produced great results and was super fast, but there was tons of overspray. And we painted everything oil-based, so clean-up took more time and energy than anything else.
Painting was the worst part for me.
The countertops were also a huge pain. It seemed so simple in theory, but the walls aren't a perfect 90 degrees and the countertops aren't all perfectly level. There are some huge seams that look very unprofessional.
I built the peninsula out of MDF and then we covered it in a matching laminate sheet. It was more intimidating than it was difficult.
Next were the floors. Jakob did all the preparation. He hammered out the entry-way tile, pulled up all the carpet and nails, and pulled up the laminate and staples. He also had to replace the subfloor in a couple of places because it was soft and kind of rotting. But what do you expect when you buy a 2001 fixer-upper? (Written with sarcasm.)
I laid all of the laminate flooring. Not because Jakob isn't capable. Because I am extremely, extremely controlling. And we had a good system going where he cleared the way for me first.
After.
The color turned out a little creamier than I had envisioned. But I'm learning to love it. We still need to put up a subway tile backsplash. And we still need to caulk all the seems in the countertops.
I got all the knobs and pulls off of ebay. It was $50 for EVERYTHING! They were a Christmas gift from Dave and Judy. Thanks, guys!
The molding is my favorite part.
My favorite changes we made are the pull-out trash can,
the tilt out tray that used to just be a dummy drawer,
the thin cabinet for baking sheets, and the lazy suzy.
I am super happy with how everything turned out. So much better than before, and the worst of it is over. I want to sew some curtains for the windows. And I would love to put in some recessed lighting. But that can all wait.
I'm off to work on the other project. No pressure, please. But I will give you a clue. We cut some copper pipes the other night. We are becoming home-improvement rockstars.
20 comments:
Ahh!! The kitchen looks amazing! It makes me want to have mine done, but I can't get past the getting started fears of doing it. It looks amazing and I love the molding. Great job you guys!
Wow! The kitchen looks great. The flooring is fantastic. The molding is beautiful. You are so talented. Well done...
It looks fantastic! I am so impressed with your DIY skills. It seems so intimidating to me. I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve.
WOW, that looks awesome!!! I am very impressed with your home improvement skills.
Would you be willing to share a little more about the flooring? I'm 6 months pregnant and I'm itching to rip up our gross old carpet and put in laminate before the baby comes. How hard was it to do - really? And did you find a good deal on the flooring anywhere? If you have time to share more I'd love it - my email is releavitt AT gmail.com. If you don't have time I completely get it! =)
Enjoy your new kitchen and good luck on the next project too.
You guys ARE total rockstars! I am so impressed by your ability to DIY all these amazing projects. It looks so great -- and guess what, you totally made the deadline of finishing before we came! :) Can't wait to see it in person. Good luck with your mystery project!
the kitchen looks great! i STILL don't have my knobs / pulls up....was that part tricky? i just decided yesterday I don't like the ones I got, so i'm going to try to sell them on ebay and get some other ones :) love the floors.....you guys did a great job! i want more hints on your next project!!!
I am so super impressed! Seriously! We would have absolutely NO idea where to even begin with something like that. I really really like the white cabinets and dark floor contrast. I have actually been saving a picture with that same look just in case we ever get to build and decide colors of a home someday. Such a great job!
Great work! Can't wait to see it in person. whenever you're ready. No pressure. My favorite part is the floors! It all looks so great together, makes me SUPEr excited to do ours in only three months!!! Wait till you see our plan....!
Your kitchen looks great! I like the molding too.
Holy cow! It looks great, and AMAZING that you did it all by yourselves. I got excited today because I hung pictures down my stairwell. I've been meaning to do that for a year now . . . Now that I've read your post, I realize that I may have been overly excited about my accomplishment! haha. GREAT job!
I love it...and you're amazing. Good work!
wowowowowowowowwowOWOWOWWOWOWOWOWOOW! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO impressed, Mindy and Jakob! :) GREAT JOB! I love it! Love the floors too!!!! THey look like wood to me!
Mindy, I love it! You are so brave and talented! I love the color and the knobs of everything, it all looks so good. And not even to mention the floor! I can't wait til we can come see it in real life! lets talk soon please!
just beautiful. you are talented and have a great vision!
You ARE a home improvement rockstar!! I'm so so so totally impressed!! And sorry about the other project, hopefully it will turn out as great as the kitchen has! The floors are beautiful!!
wow, wow, wow - looks so gorgeous and amazing - good job!
It looks SO GOOD Mindy! You should be so proud of yourselves for doing it by yourselves... I am super impressed. You have talent/patience/perserverance and everything else it takes to do that. I do not and that is why I am so impressed. I especially LOVE the countertop color. We have black and I hate it- it is too dark. The wood floors are amazing. The whole thing is beautiful thanks for sharing!
You guys did an amazing job! You are such a Super Woman in my book, putting in your own wood floor. Do you hire out?? ;) We are considering painting our cabinets a creamy color. Wish we were closer and I'd have ya come over and coach me.
It looks wonderful! What a great job.
Your kitchen looks AMAZING!! I think we chose the same hardware, lol. You asked about the paint color on my island. It's Valspar's Brandied Pear in a semi gloss.
Post a Comment