I've been wanting to start 'Testimony Tuesday' for awhile now. Ever since I read Elder Ballard's article in the Ensign about using the Internet to share the gospel. Since this is a journal and family history, I feel that it would be an appropriate place for me to share my testimony on different things or different insights I have concerning the gospel or my spiritual growth. But, as it says in the article, I do not speak for the Church as a whole. I speak as one member to testify of truths I have come to know.
But don't expect any eloquent or extraordinary messages. I'm not putting any pressure on myself. This will be casual and full of the simple lessons I learn as I go along my way here.
My first entry has to do with a message that was given by one of our youth speakers at church a few weeks ago. In part of his talk he compared making mistakes on this earth to a child learning how to walk. They will stumble and fall, but as long as they pick themselves back up and keep going, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.
That little metaphor for how we may stumble in this life had a huge impact on me! I love any sort of comparison of our relationship with our Heavenly Father to that of a parent and child. It is something that truly puts his love for us in perspective because my love for my children is so unconditional.
I am so hard on myself when I make a mistake and am not perfect. I could tell you in detail the huge mistakes I've made in my adult life. They have made me cry and feel worthless and just want to disappear because I wasn't perfect. I felt like I had disappointed my Heavenly Father. But do I become angry when my toddler stumbles while they're trying to walk? Do I expect them to get it right the first time? Do I turn my back on them because they've embarrassed me? NO! I expect them to fall and stumble. They must if they are to learn. And I am there to help them whenever they need it.
We are not expected to be perfect. We cannot learn in this life if we don't make mistakes. It is expected. As long as we turn to our Heavenly Father along the way, our mistakes will be forgotten and He will help us and love us. I just love messages on not being perfect since I seem to forget that I don't have to be.
So that was a message I loved! Yesterday a speaker in church encouraged us to make a goal to never be angry again. Are you kidding me? That is not something I am going to attempt right now. Maybe I will try not to get angry in the next five minutes, but no promises. :)
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love how you wrote about the lesson about not being angry right after I read your post about the horrible restaurant situation. It is okay to be angry when the situation warrants, I think!
I look forward to reading more of your testimony posts, they will be a great addition to your blog!
Mindy...I just love reading about you and your family. I see so much of myself in how you're feeling but you are able to express it much better than I. I also love the humor you find in situations that would make me scream. At the moment you probably feel like screaming too, but in retrospect you make things sound not so bad. As moms it helps to know that it isn't easy for any of us and we are in this together. Thanks for being so open and honest. Loved seeing your family too. Miss them all lots.
Post a Comment