Sunday, February 04, 2007

Our Weekend

This weekend Jakob and I got to go on a date. We trade babysitting with two other families. So once every three weeks we watch all of the kids on a weekend, but then we get two weekends to go on dates ourselves. It's worked out really great and saved us tons of money on babysitters. We call them "Kids Nights" so the kids think that we're doing them a giant favor. Genius.

So we knew we wanted to see a movie this weekend, and Jakob made a couple of suggestions. "The Messenger" and "Stomp the Yard". ("I take 2 steps forward, You take 2 steps back. We come together cuz opposites attract.") I was not going to take 2 steps backward on our precious night out, so I had to pull Jakob 4 steps forward. That's pretty much how this marriage works. :)

To be fair, Jakob hasn't watched TV for weeks because of work, so he hasn't seen any movie trailers, just read brief descriptions online. But there seriously is slim pickins in the movie theatre's right now. So frustrating! I'm dying for 'The Prestige' to come out on video because I didn't get to see that yet. So we decided on getting some dessert and then just renting a movie from Blockbuster. We got dessert at the same place Michiko had her non-baby shower. It's a sports grill called 'B.J.'s' and they have these huge cookies baked in a deep dish with ice cream on top. So yummy! Jakob has eaten them at other restaurants, so I'm sure some of you have had them. But if you haven't, find them and enjoy! I'm already craving them again.

The movie we rented was 'Lady in the Water'. We didn't see it in the theatres, but are big fans of M. Night Shamalalanahayanan. People had said it wasn't great, but I really liked it. It was interesting. I have really been thinking about something a side character said in it. He's a movie critic, and he talked about how there is no more originality in film anymore. That everything has been done a million times. I think there's a lot of truth in that, and my new goal is to try and come up with an original plot - something that hasn't been done before. It'll give me something to think about so the old brain doesn't turn to mush. It's my alternative to one of those 'Brain Age' handheld games.

So that was the event of our weekend. Saturday we did a "10 Second Tidy" that lasted 2 1/2 hours. We had a visitor and had to clean the house, but it was nice to have it all clean for the rest of the weekend. Oh, yeah! We also got a new toaster! We had to retire the toaster we got for our wedding. It gave a good fight and served us well for nearly six years. The other year and a half it has disappointed us, hurt our feelings, and mocked us repeatedly. We had to let it go. We've upgraded to a four-slice and feel like we're definitely a family now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, so I totally had no idea of what the plot of Stomp the Yard is. Had I known it was Save the Last Dance regurgitated, I would have never mentioned it. Luckily though, Mindy was there to keep me from wasting my time, and we had a gret weekend!!

Stina said...

Sounds like you had a fun date night! I haven't seen that movie but your dessert sounds so good! We stopped by Barnes and Noble on Friday and the cafe had just-baked cookies so of course we had to get one - yummy!

Anonymous said...

Shamalyananahanahan! I gave a hearty laugh. Your blogs are always amusing, but it's the clever little side jokes that get me laughing :)

Natalie said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! Just like Jakob, I have no idea which movies are out there or which ones are even good! You'll have to email me a list of your favorite over the past two years, since I'm about that behind. Oh, and the toaster thing - we really need a four slicer too. A two slicer and five people just makes our mornings more hectic!

D-dawg said...

So we had the same situation this weekend with movies. we never go, but wanted to this weekend and there was nothing good out!!! So annoying. We ended up seeing, "the painted veil" with Edward Norton( who I think is super cute) and ended up loving the movie. The cookie thing sounds delicious!!! Oh and also our 10 second tidys always end up being a couple of hours. but it is the best to have it clean. oh AND we just got rid of our wedding toaster too. We are all getting to be old married couples now.