Thursday, February 07, 2013

Love

Things I Love
(Inspired by Denae’s Love Week)
 
DSCN1415
I love Blue Bell’s Cookies ‘n Cream Ice Cream. 

I’m addicted.  This was dinner one night in December when Jakob was out of town.  1/2 gallon of ice cream in bed while surfing the internet.  I’m surprised I didn’t die of happiness.

Pink-Just-Give-Me-A-Reason-900-600
I love Pink’s song “Just Give Me a Reason”. 

I don’t love music, but I love songs.  I hardly listen to the radio, but when I find a song I love, it is like a gift and I listen to it over and over again until it finally loosens the hold it has over me.  This song is my current obsession and I can’t get enough.  I burned this single song to a CD and I listen to it constantly in the car.  It is driving my boys crazy.

I do not love the video.  It is kind of creepy and has her thrashing around on a bed in her underwear.  But I don’t know how to embed just the song, so I’m posting the video.



(I also love tattoos.  I can’t explain it.  Well, yes, I can.  It is part of the good girl/bad boy thing.  It’s a good thing that I know we shouldn’t get them, or Jakob would be covered with them just like Carey Hart.)

102212_db_Krauthammer-500x277
I love Charles Krauthammer. 

My liberal friends won’t appreciate this, but I think Charles Krauthammer is the wisest man in the world.  He is the final word on all things political for me.

He is a genius.  He is just so knowledgeable about so many things.  And he is so logical.  He has no emotion in his opinions.

His story is amazing.  He is a paraplegic.   This is from an interview with him I found online:

LAMB: What year did you have your diving accident?
KRAUTHAMMER: 1972. I was a freshmen in medical school in my first year and ended up being hospitalized for a year and two months. But since it happened at Harvard Medical School, in one of the swimming pools of the hotels at the complex, I ended up doing my year-plus stint as a patient in Harvard teaching hospitals so that I was able to do my second year of medical school in the hospital as a patient.  Even though I wasn’t able to attend any classes, I’d study at night. And they were very good at having the professors tutor me at night. Then I rejoined, then I was released from the hospital, I rejoined my class for the third year. And then I graduated a year later.
LAMB: I don’t know about if you mind telling the story, but what happened in the diving accident?
KRAUTHAMMER: Very simple, I hit the bottom of the pool with my head and it caused no injury except a breaking of the spinal cord.
LAMB: And you spent how long in the hospital?
KRAUTHAMMER: Two months.
LAMB: What was your reaction to that when it happened to you, I mean, during that time?
KRAUTHAMMER: Well, being a medical student and that week studying neurology, which was rather ironic, the book I had with me when I was hurt was neuro-anatomy. I knew exactly what happened the second it happened. And I knew exactly what the consequences were and I knew what the future was. And I think that was a help to me, because I never had any illusions. And a lot of my, ­­the bedmates I had on the wards where I was had a lot of illusions. And I didn’t have them, which I think was useful. So I knew, you had two choices, you could give up or you could just pretend it hadn’t happened and do everything that you could to. And what I resolved is I would never, I would try never to let it change my life, or change the direction of my life. The irony is that I’d intended to be a psychiatrist, which is about the one, that and radiology was about the only thing I could do. And that’s what I wanted to do, so I went ahead and did it.

I just think his perspective on his accident, his career, and his life is so level and I think that transfers over to his opinions on the world and politics.  Anyway, I just love him.  Here is a recent Fox News clip where he just seems to put both the republican and democrat in their place with his knowledge and perspective.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Wow, that is awesome how he was able to move forward with his life with such a perspective and positive attitude.

Stina said...

Sorry I am so behind on my comments. I usually read your blog on my phone reader so it's not easy to leave comments. But now I'm on my computer so I will try to catch up.

I am the same way about songs, but that Pink song isn't getting me. My current one is "This is the New Year" by Great Big World. YouTube it and let me know what you think.

I don't know anything about that reporter, but that life story sounds fascinating!