The 5th grade musical this year was an incredible musical extravaganza called “Toy Store”. Our very own Kobes Elliott played Mr. Potato Head. It was the part he was gunning for, and he was so thrilled when he got it.
The costume was intense. I’m not sure exactly how much it weighed, but at least twenty pounds. The day before the performance, he said his neck was hurting because the whole costume was resting on his head. So the morning of, I headed to the school with my drill, socket wrench, and bungee cords and hoisted that paper mache mass up so that it rested on his shoulders. I bought him some lacrosse shoulder pads to ease the blow.
The costume was also super hot, so I bought this cooling gel insert thing that he wore over his shoulders and I dumped water all over his head right before he went on. Now that I’ve gone over the logistics of the Mr. Potato Head costume, let me focus now on the incredible acting chops and vocal stylings of Mr. Kobe.
Kobe did so great! He memorized all of his lines and practiced a ton. He was so excited to go on stage. Not nervous. Just excited! Kobe’s confidence blows my mind. Under the head, his costume was white leggings and a white long-sleeved shirt. I brought these little shorts for him to wear over his leggings in case he was embarrassed. But he passed. No inhibitions.
He sang his heart out on his solos. He loved his comedic lines. He loved that Mr. Potato Head said a lot of “sarcastic” things. Sarcasm isn’t really encouraged in our home, so I think he enjoyed playing a darker character like Mr. Potato Head. :)
Well done, Kobe! We love you so much! The world is your oyster! Don’t stop believing!
And for family and talent scouts, here is Kobe’s “Toy Store” montage:
No comments:
Post a Comment