Thursday, September 04, 2008

Therapy Thursday

When I was twelve years old, I really wanted a pair of Vans shoes. I wanted all black ones that lace up. They were very stylish at the time and I wanted, for once, to be in style. I saved up my money for a very long time. They were like $30 or $40 bucks and I was only 12! Finally, I had enough and my mom took me to the Vans store.

I found the pair I wanted and tried them on. I had never worn shoes that weren't bought at Walmart, so this was especially exciting. When you are twelve, your feet change sizes at an unpredictable pace, and I was worried that I might grow out of my new Vans sooner than I would like. So I decided, just to be safe, to buy my new Vans shoes two sizes too big. That way, I would be sure to wear them for a long time.

That night was Mutual, and I decided to wear my brand new shoes. As I was walking around the building, an older boy was walking toward me. He looked right at my face and said, "Nice clown shoes."

I never wore my Vans again.

3 comments:

Marcie said...

That is so sad, especially since your feet stop growing right around twelve! I told Jamis your story and he even though that it was sad. Go buy yourself some new vans that fit. Even if you don't ever wear them maybe it will help you overcome this memory.

Greg and Abbey said...

MINDY!
You have me laughing out loud again. Goodness! How you tell stories is hilarious. I love reading your blog. hahah i love that you bought them 2 sizes too big. That's awesome that you wanted to wear them for so long! I miss you! Wish we could have hung out before I left.

Becky said...

"Therapy Thursday"--that's hilarious! What a sad story!!