Friday, September 26, 2008

The Snake Lady

Yesterday I took the boys to their Elementary school's annual book fair where 'The Snake Lady' comes with all of her snakes. My boys LOVE snakes. They definitely get it from their dad. He grew up with pet snakes and I'm sure we'll be the same.

It is so cool that this middle school teacher brings tons of her cool snakes to the school. Some of them are super big, too. Kobe and Luke went around and touched and held all the snakes. Jude was a little more hesitant and just stayed at my leg. We then searched through the crowded book fair for affordable books and were on our way.

Jakob was out of town this week and I have to pat myself on the back for all the things I am able to do without him. It's not easy, but look at me being a good mom and taking all four of my kids to see the snake lady all by myself. And then I took them for Slurpee's afterwards! Mindy, you are too, too much.

One thing I'm not so good at, though, is sleeping while Jakob is gone. I just freak myself out. On the final night I made a barricade by our sliding doors with all of our kitchen chairs. Then I gathered diaper boxes and laundry baskets and made a barricade in our hallway. Can you imagine what is going through my mind? What I think may happen? It is not a good place, I'll tell you what.

But, back to snakes. The boys have been wanting a pet snake for so long. They're asking for one for Christmas. Kobe says he wants a pet snake even more than a Wii. I want to get them a snake because I think it's a pretty easy pet to have. We'd have to invest in a top-of-the-line cage, though, because Jakob says their pet snakes would escape from their cages all of the time. I would die. They would also only be allowed to play with it when Jakob was with them because I could never and would never touch it. I'm not a snake gal.

I'm not sure if they'll get a snake for Christmas. I always wanted to be in a little bigger house before we got a snake so that there would be a safe place for the cage. But, it looks like this house is where we're supposed to be right now because nothing else is working out. I think I worded it wrong in a previous post, but we were looking to buy a house and rent out our current house. We've made 100 offers but nothing has worked out. I was depressed for a day and then I decided that if this is where we're supposed to be, then I'm going to make the best of it. We decided to get a storage unit and clear out our garage so that that can be more space for the boys to play in. And the garage will also act as my new craft room, which should be interesting. But I am determined to make the best of our situation.

Track off is coming to an end. I did pretty good on the no TV thing. This last week I was exhausted during the day from lack of sleep, so I let the TV be on while I was trying to nap. It was a very successful track off with a lot of playing outside in the beautiful September weather. I think we'll try the no TV thing every track off. I think it helped the feeling in our home and I think I was blessed with extra patience to handle all the 'playing' which includes wrestling and screaming and destroying.

October is looming just around the corner. School will start again and that means I will have to make lunches every morning. Homework I can handle, but making a sack lunch every single morning is what gets me. And then there's Halloween and getting costumes made, bought, and ready. Then November and Jakob's birthday. Then December and Christmas. And snow. I'm a little nervous about this time of year. But there's a lot of good that comes with the stress, so I guess I'm looking forward to it all, too!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Man, that's one awesome collection of snakes! My boys love them too. I'll never get it. Loved the updates on your boys. Especially that Jude is such a dancing man.

I hear you on the nursery leader thing. Andrew is not doing well in preschool, and although he is an energetic little boy, I think it's mostly the teacher who has the problem ...

Stina said...

I LOVE this time of year! I hope I don't have to eat my words though, b/c the fall is always my favorite with all of the holidays and birthdays (well, just mine) but I have a feeling that this year and every year after will be much busier than in the past.

At first I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic about getting a pet snake, and then there you were talking about actually getting one. I am dying just reading about it - I can't believe it is true!

I hope Jakob is back and can help you with the sack lunches.

Also, sorry about my email talking about all of the TV shows I was watching. I totally forgot you were off TV - but hopefully you are getting caught up now!

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for the solo outing + 4 kids! I still have trouble handling three sometimes. . .
I go crazy when Jer is out of town too - my imagination is a little too imaginative. Hopefully Jakob is back now! I'll try and call you this next week, thanks for your message! Sorry I haven't called you back yet, but I was waiting for a good time so we could talk, but that magical time hasn't presented itself yet, so I think I'm just going to have to make time happen. Hope you're having a good weekend!

Becky said...

When I heard the snake lady was going to be there, I pictured one snake and one lady, but I was a little off! And I never even saw the lady--just a bunch of junior high snake handlers. I'm impressed that you did that by yourself with 4 boys, especially since you have such an aversion to snakes.

Shanna said...

You are nice to even think about a pet snake! I would be too freaked out. Your boys are so cute! You are a brave mom to take them all out at once. I think I stayed home until M and L were 5 and I only had two! Way to go... :)