Saturday, December 22, 2007

Muay Thai

Muay Thai means Thai boxing and it is Thailand's national sport. Because my dad is kind of an FBI celebrity in Thailand, we got a few strings pulled for us while we were there - like second row seats at a Muay Thai Boxing Match at Lumphini Park. I had the option to go, but passed without a second thought. The best Muay Thai boxers are young teenagers, and its a very violent sport. I could not watch these little babies hurt each other.

But Jake went with my Dad, brothers, sister, and brother-in-law. They do a ceremonial dance before the match starts and Jakob said it was really cool.

Here Jakob is with one of the kickboxers before a match. I guess one of these little babies got knocked-out at the end of the final match. I am so glad I didn't go. I almost started crying just hearing about it.

Here are my little Muay Thai Boxers in training! One of their Christmas gifts was Muay Thai boxing shorts. My brothers caught the fire of Muay Thai on our trip to Thailand and took private lessons at a Muay Thai gym while we were there. We took Kobe, Luke, and Jude to the gym a couple of times to practice their kickboxing moves. The trainers were really nice and worked with Kobe and Luke on their kicks and punches a little bit.

They even let Kobe and Luke go into the ring for some sparring. They felt so cool and had a great time.

Here's all the boxers together. All my brothers are available, ladies! (Well, not T. But he turns 16 in March. And I guess Kenny leaves on a mission this year, so stay away from him. But those RM's are quite a catch!)

7 comments:

Marcie said...

Those are the best pictures! I am guessing this happened monday after we left? I need those pictures. They make me so happy and I love the babies shorts! So CUTE!

Stina said...

Those are the cutest pictures of your boys in the gym. I love how even Jude is getting in the action.

I am surprised your two oldest brothers haven't been snatched up yet! Don't those potential girls know what a cool sister-in-law they will have if they join the family?

P.S. Weren't the GG winners all kind of boring and lame?

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

I love the boxing shorts...and the pictures are so cute of your boys. I bet they loved going to the gym and learning how to kick box.

I think I would have passed on the boxing match too.

Jakob said...

The Muay Thai match was really cool! I also saw the boys working out, and their workouts were pretty intense! Kobe and Luke loved it because they felt like they were training to be superheroes! BTW, I think that first picture at the top is the match that ended in a knockout (blue defeated the pink). The Thai boxing was definitely a memorable part of the trip!

Natalie said...

That sounds like every boy's dream - to be able to practice kick boxing in a ring and everything. Love the pictures of little Jude! I'm with you, Mindy - I couldn't have watched the match either.

D-dawg said...

Logan would have been in heaven at the boxing gym. So fun for your boys!! So sad though about the fighters.. I hate boxing it is so gross.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the fighting. Jer would go watch those UFC fights sometimes, I just don't understand why watching people beat each other up would be entertaining. I don't really understand football either though, maybe it's the excitement of seeing guys slam into each other, but Jer says it's such a rush to tackle somebody.

Are you going to put the boys in karate or something? I'm looking for something for my boys. I know they'd love it.