
It's ANOTHER Boy!!!!!! Unbelievable. I am still in a little shock, but will do my best to compose an intelligible post. We went in for our ultrasound yesterday and found out that another little male will join the York house. Even before our ultrasound technician told us the news, I sensed what the outcome would be. It has been my experience that ultrasound technicians are a little uppity. I have had many ultrasounds, and every time I have very similar experiences. The technicians have a lot of power and information at their hands, and they know it. And they take pride in their job of examining and diagnosing many possible complications with your pregnancy or baby. The whole "boy or girl thing" is so frivolous to them and they will not put forth too much effort to find out. That has at least been my experience.
So it's best to just answer yes when she asks if you'd like to know the sex, and then not make a big deal out of it. So here are some of the signs that I knew the big boy announcement was coming:
- Our very haughty and powerful ultrasound technician asked if we'd like to know the sex. She then asked if we have other children and if they are boys or girls. We told her that we have three boys at home. A minute into the ultrasound she started acting very nice and warm toward us. Clue #1.
- About five minutes into the ultrasound she said I could go and empty my bladder if I wanted to. I asked her if this would make it more difficult to find the sex, and she said she already knew and would show us later. Clue #2.
- She accidentally expressed, "He just keeps on rolling around," a couple times during the ultrasound. Clue #3.
So when the announcement finally came, I already had 1/2 hour to prep myself for the news. Jakob and I just laughed. We just sat there stunned. Four in a row. I may have mumbled a little, "Why can you only make boys?", but I can't really remember. It's all a blur.
We knew this was a possibility when we decided to get pregnant with number 4. We were willing to take that chance. I've actually done a lot of soul-searching and praying before we even knew to find peace with whatever sex our last baby would be. So I'm very happy and excited for what this means. Here are all the reasons I'm excited for all boys: (Disclaimer: Some things on this list may be very offensive to mother's of girls. Some of the things that I am listing as negatives may, in reality, be positives in your eyes. But, come on. Give me a break. I just found out that I will never have a girl. Show a little sympathy and do not get offended.)
- I will not have to deal with a daughter's periods, cramps and PMS.
- No modesty issues.
- No Young Women's.
- No Girl's Camp.
- No piercing ears.
- No girly whining.
- No girly talking non-stop.
- No friend backbiting, gossiping, and all that tricky girl stuff.
- No training bras.
- No make-up issues.
- No girl's listening in on all my conversations.
- No emotional crying.
- I will not have a daughter who realizes my weaknesses as a mother and holds them against me.
- No trying to find modest prom dresses, homecoming dresses, or dance/cheerleading uniforms.
- No weddings to plan and pay for.
- I don't have to teach a daughter self-acceptance, so I can go ahead with that nose job someday.
There are many more that I can't think of now, but will add to my list. My life will definitely be more simple with all boys.
- Fathers and Sons campouts will also be "Mom's Night Alone".
- Scouting ventures will also be "Mom's Alone Time".
- My boys will think that I am the best mother in the entire world (until they get married and then their wife can point out all my insane issues and flaws).
- We will be a shoo-in for cast of the Hill Cumorah Pageant.
- Jude will have a buddy.
- We already have all the clothes, all the toys, all the movies, and all the decor for boys.
Again, there are many more things I will add to this list as they come to me.
I do feel like I'm letting an awful lot of people down, though. I think I symbolized hope to the many 'mothers of three boys' I know. And now they ALL have to face the possibility that you can flip a coin and have it land on tails FOUR TIMES IN A ROW. So I apologize to:
Michiko W., Emily P., Kendra W., Gina S., Kim C., Lindsay P., Christy R., Ashley Y., Kathie B., and Cassie S.
These are all the women that I know PERSONALLY that have three boys. Don't you think that's a little disturbing? There is definitely something up in heaven. But I am definitely the President of the 'All Boys' club and I hope, for all your sakes, that nobody dethrones me.
My biggest struggle right now is in choosing a name. We have exhausted our options. I think that 'Jude' was our masterpiece, and it's all downhill from there. I don't feel strongly about any name, but feel so much pressure to find one that I like. I only have 4 1/2 months! So much pressure. If I had known that I was going to have four boys, I would've done something cool like Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Or at least John, Paul, George, and Ringo.
On a more spiritual note, Jakob and I have definitely prayed about how many children we should have, and felt very strongly that this would be our last baby, regardless of gender. We have both felt peace knowing that this little boy is completing our family, and feel very excited for what this means and what lies in store for us. We feel very privileged to be entrusted with four future priesthood holders, four future missionaries, and four future fathers. What a great responsibility and I know that, with Heavenly Father's help, we are up for the task.
I remember all the way back in Wyview, there was a testimony meeting where a sister got up, very tearful, and started her testimony, "I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for me." She then went on, crying the whole time, to say that she had just found out that they were having their forth boy. But then she talked about how she will have contributed 8 years of missionary work through her sons and I remember thinking that that was really cool. I never even wondered whether I would end up having four boys. Who even fathoms that? But here I am. Now it seems so obvious as to why I have held onto her testimony for so long. (That girl's last name was 'Hammer' for all you Wyviewites out there.)
So that is my last official 'It's a boy!' announcement ever! 'Pepperoni Lovers' pizza for everyone on me!

14 comments:
I'm excited! Although a bit shocked! I do look forward to lots of sports and camping, hiking, and all that fun stuff! It is sad that we will never have a little girl for me to spoil and be protective of, but at least we'll have lots of wrestling and rowdiness in our home (as if we didn't have enough already)! Time to buy a bigger house!
Mindy! I loved this post. I have so many feelings. First of all, I think you are having a great attitude about it all. It's what your family is meant is to be! It is true that you're raising future husbands and fathers and I'm happy knowing there will some great York ones out there! Good men are sometimes hard to find. And so so true is that you'll never have a girl who realizes your mothering weaknesses! You'll always be completely adored by your boys!
Also, do you really want a nose job? Oh yeah and I wanted to tell you to look at my friend Brigitta's blog... she just found out at Christmas she's having boy #4 too! She wrote a post on coming to grips with it. She's on my sidebar, her blog is Highlights. Anyway, congratulations!!! I know you guys will come up with a super cute boy name... you always have!!
Hello I am friends with Denae (on her sidebar Highlights) and was told to read your blog. I found out last month that I will also be having our fourth and final boy. I was a little shocked, but should of expected it. And of course my alpha male husband thinks he is so cool that he can only produce boys. (although I think he wanted a little girl more then I did) I feel your pain and totally understand what you are saying. People tell me it takes a certain kind of women to raise all boys, not sure what that means. But I guess I will find out. Congratulations and when are you due?
I'm not just saying this, but I used to say that if I had to pick whether to have all boys or all girls I would definitely pick all boys. I have 4 brothers and they are an absolute blast. They are definitely what gives our family its personality. I love this post. You're so funny and honest and have the best take on it all. I am definitely not offended by the list about girls. I'm not excited for any of that either. And 8 years of missionary work? Now that is a cool way to look at it all. I'm not sure if you saw my comment 2 posts ago about possibly going to Women's Conference/Blogapalooza, but I lost your email so that's why I'm writing about it here. Just curious if you'd be interested in going or not. By the way, I'm having a giveaway on my blog FULL of chocolate...and chocolate makes everything perfect.
Yup. Definitely a boy! I love that last ultrasound pic, it's a familiar sight! :) Congratulations! I'm really excited for you. I know it is hard to think that you'll never have a girl of your own - I actually think the hardest part is always wondering what your girl would have looked like, but a woman that I really look up to has four sons (her first was a girl, but she was stillborn, so sad!), and she is amazing. She has a special relationship with each of her daughters-in-law, which I think is really cool.
It's awesome that Jude will have a little buddy, I actually worry about that for Teo, since Maika and Kai get along so well.
Three cheers, well, Four cheers for the Boy's Club Prez!
Mindy, I loved this post! Congratulations on boy #4!!!! Want to know the truth? I am a little jealous. I've always, always thought it would be soo much fun to have a housefull of boys.
I agree with your lists. You made me laugh. All things on there are too true. And, I totally remember that testimony meeting in Wyview. I also remember all their kids names ended in 'son.'
And you better not have a nose job!
I know what you mean about this being your last. My 4th was my last too. I can't wait to share thoughts with you about being a mother of four.
The ONE day I don't log onto Google Reader first thing in the morning... And this! I swear when I asked in my last comment about when the sex was going to be announced that I had no clue your ultrasound was yesterday. I guess I was just in tune with you!
You know what the first thing was when I contemplated you having four boys? Symmetry. Even numbers. You will have four boys. Two pairs of little buddies. Not three boys and 1 girl; no lopsided-ness. You will be (and already are) an amazing mother to these four boys -- having four younger brothers I feel has prepared you for this great work in your life.
I am on a mission now to help you and Jakob find the perfect name. I know your rules so I will send you a list as I come up with them. First submission: Nate.
One more note about the ultrasound technician anecdote -- have you seen Juno yet? There is a hilarious scene where Juno's mom tells off an ultrasound tech, who sounds exactly like the lady you had!
Congratulations! Just think...your daughters in law will all just love you (and there will be no weird-ness about how you treat them vs. your daughter....). Also, we all know that little boys are way more fun than little girls....(just teasing all you girl moms out there). I'm glad you ran for boys-club prez. You'll do great :)
Kendra
Congrats Mindy! I was a little shocked, I was really holding out hope for a little girl. I just keep telling myself that our number 4 will also be a boy. So much more economical...Right??? When I had my ultra sound with Sam, I was convinced that I was having a girl, and right when the ultra sound tech put the thingy on my belly....BAM! We saw a peep. Good Luck with another boy name...are you wanting to stick with 4 letters? I will be thinking of some suggestions for you. One more thing, at least you were able to find out that you are having a boy. Can you imagine going another 4.5 months not knowing?
Congats Min! When I found out I was speachless. Then I got to thinking about it and it makes me want to have a boy first so he can have all these cool cousins and uncles to play with. It would kind of sad to have a girl amiss all of these male in both our side of the family and Jamis's. I guess we will see.
congrats! you are truly blessed.
hey mindy! congratulations and i am really proud of your good attitude. i do have my hopes on a girl with my fourth, but i have absolutely NO idea and refuse to speculate (at least out loud). i must say your blog is so funny and real. i appreciate that in a blog! that last ultrasound pic looks just like the one i got for noah (when i was in TOTAL denial he was a boy!!! HA). :)
Mindy I'm so glad you commented on my blog and linked to your posts--I was totally laughing out loud at this--you are hilarious and I relate so much to all of it. I love the list of girl things we won't have to deal with (though I always wanted to plan a wedding!), especially how we can just get plastic surgery and not worry about the message it sends! I just told my friend yesterday that I should named them Paul, John, George, and Ringo. Too funny!
Post a Comment