Monday, July 23, 2007

The Sweet Escape

This weekend I had a ton of 'mommy time' when I flew to Palmyra, New York to go and visit my family at the Hill Cumorah Pageant. It was a much needed break for me. Besides Jakob's and my overnight getaway, I haven't left my kids in years. It was nice to remember that I still exist outside the confines (not J/K) of my children. :) It was also so great to be able to see my family again. My brothers continue to grow and change. And now they are so funny. Really, really funny. My favorite memory of the weekend was just being with everyone, talking. I also met two of my biggest fans. Hi, Grace and Emily! I enjoyed just wandering the Cumorah grounds by myself. ALL BY MYSELF. I love to be alone. It's so peaceful. Woohoo! Yeehoo!

So I hope that everyone has high speed internet, because here goes the lengthy slideshow:
The first morning I was there, Marcie went with me to a few of the Joseph Smith sights that are nearby. We went to the Smith Family Log Cabin, the Smith Family Framed House, and the Sacred Grove. I love to visit the church sites. It was so incredible. Later I also visited the Palmyra Visitors Center and watched 'The Restoration' and 'Joseph Smith'. And then I hiked to the top of the Hill Cumorah.
Here I am with everyone BUT Kenny in their full costume. Kenny must have forgotten to meet us all at the designated spot for pictures. There were 6,000 people in the audience that night, so Kenfo's hands were full working the room.
Here's my Dad and me. This year he was a New World Apostle and is in the Christ descension scene. In the past my dad has played Abinidi and Mormon.
Here's my Mom and me. She was 'Proud to be Crowd' and was in the destruction scene, which I think is one of the coolest scenes. Her and my dad were also cast team leaders over the 17-year-olds and they always do an amazing job at that.
Here's me with the Charles'. This year Marcie was a dancer and I can't believe I can't remember which kind of dancer. Sorry, Mar! And Jamis was Samuel the Lamanite. Very cool.
This year Will played one of the Nephi's. But not just any Nephi, THE Wilderness Nephi. He easily has the second biggest part in the whole production. He brings the plates to his father in the Wilderness, and then has a huge scene where it is just him and an angel as he witnesses for himself 'The Tree of Life' vision. He did so good. And sorry about the touchy-touchy picture, Will. Don't mean to make you uncomfortable or anything. :)
Kenfo was a Lamanite Dancer. He also had a huge battle scene. He was front and center for all his parts and it was awesome. He was very visible. Which doesn't help to explain why I didn't get a good shot of him on video OR camera during the whole performance. Sorry, Fo!
Little T was a warrior with some great battle scenes. It was most fun for me to see T and how much he's grown. He's like a little man now! I love all my siblings so much and am so excited for all these fun years as adults together.
Here's Willie and me while I waited for the show to start in the audience. If you have never been to 'The Hill Cumorah Pageant', I would highly encourage it. It is spectacular. And so many people come from all around. Most of the cast walks around about an hour before the show begins to meet people and take pictures with them. I felt so cool as all my family members walked right up to me in the audience to hang out. Yeah, that's right Loretta (my 65 year old audience friend sitting next to me.). I ain't no ordinary audience member. I know people.
Here we are at the final devotional after the very last performance. I CANNOT WAIT to be in the Pageant with my boys someday. I only got to experience it once for myself, and I want to be able to have my boys grow up with it like my brothers have. It is such a great experience for families, and also for teenagers to be united with such a strong group of youth.
And here I am at the airport for my final farewell. We are standing in front of the famous patriotic horse statue at the Rochester Airport. I want to thank my family for such a great time! I hope to be able to meet up with them again like this someday, but it won't be long until they may be giving the York's a visit at the pageant!
And what's a great 'York and Mindy' post without a little nostalgia? Here are some pictures from back in the day when I was a Lamanite Dancer. This first one is of the whole family with my cousin, Mikey, who was serving a mission in Rochester at the time.
Way back in 1998, the costumes were much more showy and flamboyant. They have toned them down since them, which I think is a shame. I think every good Mormon girl should have the chance to feel like a Vegas showgirl for once in her life. Marcie was a concubine in King Noah's court. Kenny was Nephi's son in the ship scene. Willie and Robbie were the cutest little battle warriors ever. My mom and Timmy were in the Christ scene. And my Dad was Abinidi that year. Good times!

8 comments:

Stina said...

Great post! I know you've always loved the pageant and I'm sure this was even more special because you got to spend time with your family (who are spread far and wide). I had a similar experience when I went to NYC where it was just the 4 immediate family members on vacation again. Looks like you had a great time!

You are the best big sister. I also cannot believe how big "Little T" is. Be sure to let him know that I will always remember him sitting in the car seat next to me in your family's van with snot dribbling out his nose. :)

Also, you look great and very fit! You have to share the secrets of your diet with us soon!

Rachel B. said...

How fun! Your family is so cute! And you're right about every girl needing a chance to feel like a Vegas showgirl. :) And even before reading Stina's comment I was thinking that you look amazing. So darn thin! Good job. If you have diet secrets, I would like you to share them.

Anonymous said...

I've never been to or participated in a pageant, but if I had known that you get to dress up like a Vegas showgirl, I would've been there years ago!! :)

Looks like you had a great time, and it was fun to finally see pictures of your two youngest bros!

D-dawg said...

How fun to have a get-away Mindy! I need one of those soon. The pageant looks amazing, your family is so lucky they get to do that every year. Cute pictures!

Natalie said...

What an awesome tradition for your family. So, that's where you've been! I've missed your blogs. Those pictures are great. And so nice to have some time sans kids!!

Anonymous said...

Mindy-I am a secret checker of your blog site! I need the comic relief it gives me...I think I am the biggest fan of this entry because I am a Pageant girl too...and someday MY family will be participating in it too. Let's coordinate years ok? I just love that place and hate thinking that it can go on without us! I loved seeing your Mom in Utah...she had just come straight from your house and cracked me up with all the funny stories. It made me miss the good old days in Naperville. With my 3 girls and your 3 boys we need to betroth a couple of them, don't you think? You guys are so great! Love, Marcia Slichta

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

What a great weekend trip. I bet it was wonderful to see your family and to actually be able to talk to them without any distractions. It was fun to see what your family looks like. I love the old pictures too. I love Palmyra, but have never seen the pageant...maybe some day we can meet their and our boys can be super stars.

Mindy said...

Marcia! It was so great to get your comment! I am so happy to know that you look at my blog. It's such a neat way to keep in touch. I completely agree that our children need to be married some day. How perfect would that be? And Jake and I talked it through and we should definitely plan to be at pageant at the same time. What a blast. But did you hear that they might be doing some radical changes to it soon? Should be interesting.

And thanks, posse, for coming through again. I love you guys.