He says that kids laughed at his middle name at school. I don't know exactly what that scenario entailed. How did the children even find out his middle name? Why would five-year-olds laugh at it? It's a cool name! Maybe because they were unfamiliar with it, they laughed. I don't know. But Kobe mostly just brushes stuff like that off. He's a pretty confident kid.
But when he's tired, that's usually when all of this childhood trauma comes to the surface. So here's some of his letters to us lately. Most of them written from bed at night. He's really a well-adjusted, kind kid. But tiredness seems to bring on resentment and self-loathing.This note says, "Don't say Kobe Elliott. Name me something else. Kobe."
I asked him what he wanted to be called, and this is the name he chose for himself. "Jackson Lite York." Lite to be interpreted as 'Light'. I understood why he chose Jackson because he has many friends named Jackson. I asked him why he chose Light, and this is what he said: "Well, there's the dark side. And the opposite of the dark side is the light side. And I don't choose the dark side, I choose the light. So that's my name, Light." See, I told you he's a good boy. Just trying to figure things out.
In the last letter, he's just making sure his point is clear by scribbling out his old name numerous times, and then drawing the new happy boy, Jackson. We started calling him Jackson, but he still wasn't happy. He wrote, "No more Jackson in the family. I want to go to another family. From Jackson." We said we'll talk about it in the morning, and it hasn't come up since. The next morning, however, we said 'Good Morning' to our eldest son, Jackson, and he quickly changed his mind about that name. He was back to Kobe, but wanted to keep the middle name Light. Fine by us. Now Luke wants to change his middle name, too. First he chose 'Toot'. Then he chose 'Poop'. But those names were obviously unacceptable. So he settled on 'Jawa'.My goodness, raising these boys is hard right now. I think it's unfair that the mental angst and parental annoyance of teenagers has begun already for me. All my boys are going through their 'phases' right now. They usually don't happen all at once. Luke's are tantrums and whining. And Jude's are neediness and frustration over communication. And he has also discovered that a finger up his nose gets him some laughs and attention.
8 comments:
Mindy....you've given me so much to look forward to! I was just thinking "it's so hard right now...i can't wait for them to be a little older and stop (throwing their food, hitting each other, drawing blood from each other, ripping diapers off...pick one)". I have to say though, I LOVE the names they picked...light and jawa are awesome.
Oh, what a classic post! So funny that Kobe wants to change his name. His letters are quite specific and pretty cute. I hope you save them for a long time! I love the pic of Jude. I think all kids must assume that fingers were just made for noses. Love the phases our kids go through.
That's awesome! If it makes you feel any better about giving him such a "horrible" name, when I was little I wanted to change my name to Sandy and also wanted curly blond hair. Hmmm...I think I was watching a little too much "Grease." By the way, I really like the names you have picked for your kids. As you know from the name Reese, I like names you don't hear everyday, but that are also not made up.
Mindy!!!!!!!! That is so funny! I can't believe he hates his name so much! That really cracks me up but I have to say that I think it is great he's expressing himself so much. And I love that you guys just went along with his requests rather than fighting it. Great ideas. I just changed my blog template too by the way. Have you finished your armoire you were going to paint??
Love the new layout! Check you out and all your photoshopping skills! Jackson Light? Too funny . . . And I love that Luke's first instincts were to go with Toot and Poop! Classic second son antics. Tell Kobe I think Elliot is an AWESOME name, and the kids were only teasing him because they were jealous. I bet it's true!
This is such a hilarious post. I love hearing these parenting stories about your funny kids. I love my name now, but I remember distinctly wishing my name was "Courtney" in 3rd grade. I didn't even know any Courtneys. And Dave said when he was a kid that he wished his name was Joey b/c that is what kid kangaroos are called. Funny huh?
I just came back to your blog again so I could look at that picture of Jude again. So funny!!!!
Also, love the new layout. Everyone's getting so fancy with their unique templates! Also, the pic of you and Jakob is perfect. Good photoshopping!!
Well I have to say that he has great taste in new first names. I am pretty sure my number two would have chosen poop or too too eye ball.
Post a Comment