This is really a ridiculous 'Before and After' post because you can't really tell the difference between the two pictures, aside from our new light fixtures. In the first picture you might be able to see the popcorn/acoustic texture on the ceiling. That was our big project - to scrape off all the popcorn and get it retextured with an orange peel texture and paint it white. We were very excited to FINALLY get rid of our shiny brass light fixtures and put up some darker bronze ones (they look dark grey/black). So that was our big project. Was it worth a week of turmoil and a baby in the hospital? No. But I am SOOOOOOO happy with it now!
After......
6 comments:
That looks great! I think light fixtures make the biggest difference. We just got rid of the last of our gold light fixtures too. That's what I spent my birthday money on this year. :)
It looks great! I can't believe the taping and the plastic sheets - this would have been way too intimidating a job for me to even consider! Plus the resurfacing of the ceiling at such a tall height! Great job, you guys!
The darker fixtures totally fit in with the look and style of your house. Again, I'm so impressed by how high up and large your fixtures are that you replaced. We have a hole with wiring in the vaulted ceiling of our master bedroom for a fixture that's just empty now and I'm too scared/ignorant to know what to do with it. Next time you come to Utah I will need to consult your decorating expertise!!
Also, dumb question: did you just not like the popcorn texture of the ceiling and preferred the orange peel texture or is there a structural/safety/other reason for you to replace it?
Mindy, it is so great to get rid of the popcorn. And the new fixtures are awesome! Was scraping the popcorn hard.... I mean do you really have to scrape a lot or does it come off easily? I too would be very intimidated by this project but I bet you're so glad you did it!
It really looks fabulous! I'm glad that you're happy with it, because it looks great! We have the popcorn ceilings in our house, and I really wanted to change them when we moved in. Drew talked me out of it, but I think you've inspired me to reconsider...
Ok, how did I not notice your new fixtures?! They look great!
Thanks for all your comments! In response: We wanted the popcorn off because we didn't like the look of it, plus, ours was already collecting dirt. They start off as white, but then collect dirt and dust and start to look gray and brown. Our home is only 8 years old, and it already looked gross. Some people will just paint over it to make it look better, but we just thought we'd scrape.
The actual scraping of the ceiling isn't that hard. But it's a TON of prep work. You have to be really careful and tarp every square inch of your home, including walls. You bring in a hose with a spray attachment and have to wet the whole ceiling. Once it's wet, the popcorn cleanly scrapes off. That's the best part. It feels so good to see those clean lines.
Once the popcorn is off, the ceiling is drywall. Then you let it dry, sand off any dents or scratches (another very messy part), then bring in the texturers. They just spray on new texture. Then let that dry and paint it. Phew!
A lot of work, but it really bothered us, so we're happy now!
Post a Comment