Friday, November 02, 2012

September–Luke

12

Luke had a fourth grade science fair.  They have implemented a really cool new science program at our elementary school that is very hands on.  They each got to choose a project for the science fair and Luke chose to do one working with electricity and batteries.
 

14
Giving us all his presentation.
 
 
 
 
 
13
Showing us how the experiment works.

15
Dad and Tate got to come to the science fair to support Luke!  Tate put on a comedy show for Luke's classmates.

16

17
Luke's birthday was in April, but for some reason we didn't get around to his birthday date until September!  Better late than never!  Luke first chose to go to Baskin Robbins for some yummy ice cream.

18
Then he chose to go to Game Shack for a little laser tag with Dad and some games.  I opt out of laser tag.  I hope I never get captured and they torture me by making me play laser tag.

19
We gave Luke some tokens to play some games.  He beelined straight to the ticket games.  Like the games only created to win tickets.  Like gambling.  Like slot machines.

21

20

22
He just went from one ticket game to the next.  We all have our own trials and weaknesses in life, and I am predicting that Luke's may be gambling.  Rather, avoiding gambling.  Just like his dad.  Ask me to tell you the story of when I asked Jakob to give up gambling before we got married.  It's a good one.

23
He took a break from gambling to test his strength.

24
And finished the night with skee ball.  Skee ball is the best.

25


Luke also received his Bear award in cub scouts in September.  He and Jakob worked really hard together and he received his Bear in record time for our family.


Jakob helped present him the award.  They ask for the scout to choose a parent to come up, and, if given the choice, my boys will always choose their dad. 

(SIDENOTE:  I am fine that they always choose their dad.  I am so glad they have a great relationship with him.  And I don't feel any pain or rejection from that.  But I sometimes wonder, will I someday feel rejected if my boys don't want to be around me?  I know that happens in the teenage years.  Does it hurt the parents' feelings, or do we have an innate parental security that we know our kids love us even if thy act like they don't?  I'm kind of worried.  I hope I have enough self-esteem to survive teenager rejection.)


Our cub scout leaders are the best.  They have this new thing they are doing for advancements where they paint the scout's face as part of the ceremony.



And then the scout surprises the parent with a dab of paint on their nose.  Congratulations, Lukey-dukes!

1 comment:

Grace said...

I loved reading all of your updates!! I am totally like Luke...I love the "slot machine" games haha. Miss and love you guys!! :)