Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Finished Project: The Chore Chart

My boys love, love, love a chore chart. And without one, they are completely paralyzed as far as helping around the house goes. I've had quite a few chore charts in the last nine years, and here was our last one.

This was a mother. It was three feet wide by two and a half feet long. It had to be so big because I wanted every day of the week on there. The cards we used for the chores were 4x6 pictures developed at the store. It was a very effective chore chart. A success. But there was one problem.

Even though we're not supposed to be commanded in all things, my boys need very specific suggestions, so we had to have a card for EVERYTHING. So at the end of the week there was a whole lotta cards to reorganize. And whose chore was that? Mine. And I don't really do things I don't want to do anymore.

So it was time for a new chore chart. Drum roll............

Our new chore chart! I am so excited. Yesterday was it's maiden voyage, and it went very well.

It's a sheet of metal that I painted with chalkboard paint. Then I gridded it out with thin strips of contact paper. I sat with it like this for a few days. Just to admire the lines. Don't straight, parallel lines and perfectly intersecting lines just turn you on?

I mounted it to some painted MDF board. I had Jandi make me some vinyl lettering for all of the labels.

I had to divide the chores into morning and afternoon so they know what needs to be done before school. If they don't complete a chore in time, I'm just going to put a little check mark by their name and they owe me a chore. Like rubbing my back. Or taking Tate to the basement for an hour.

Then we added the magnets. We'll use the same magnets everyday, and all I have to do is slide them back over at night. I think I can handle it.

I'm just starting with the basics, but come summertime we'll add chores to keep the house clean like toilets and vacuuming. I learned to make these magnets at one of our Super Saturdays and I think they're so cute.

"Mine is a house of holiness, up to me to keep it clean." (We watched the video with this song on the New Testament Video for FHE. Do you remember it from seminary? They liked it.)

12 comments:

Stina said...

So so impressed. I can't imagine that one day I will have little slaves of my own to do chores around the house, instead of adding to my list of chores for me to do. I love that a chore is to take Tate to the basement. Can your boys come over and be my nanny?

Seriously... said...

mindy...i love this and I think i'm going to copy it. that's the sincerest form of flattery or something like that, right? so prepare to be flattered.

Greg and Abbey said...

My goodness! I had no idea you were so savy with all this stuff! Your game organization and this. WoW!!!! I am impressed. PS you look so pretty in the picture with your boys! YOU ARE PRETTY!!

Marcia said...

How in the heck did you get everything looking so perfect. Yes those lines turn me on big time! Will you make one of those for me please?? I have found that any sort of chore chart or insentive program works only if the the mom is right on top of it all the time. If the mom relaxes at all, the program flops. That's my trouble. I come up with good ideas and expect the kids to be highly motivated on their own... I hate being a nag. Even I hate hearing my voice sometimes. I wish I could start all over with my parenting, I would be just like YOU!

Lindsay said...

I want to know what chores you have on their...I can't tell on some of them.
Love it!

Michiko said...

How much do you want to make one for me?! LOVE IT!!!

Marcie said...

This is absolutely amazing! I am so glad that you had kids before me so I am able to get the best ideas after you have figured everything out. A big "thanks" for past, present, and future chore charts.

Mindy said...

The chores I have on there right now are prayer, make bed, shower, put dirty clothes in laundry basket, eat and clear oatmeal bowl, brush teeth, put shoes in shoe basket (a huge problem for us), do homework, and clear dinner dishes in sink.

I intend to add things like clean toilets, wipe down bathroom counters, wipe down stair handrail, vacuum, etc.

Mindy said...

And I have 'practice piano' on there right now, too, for Kobe, but I didn't show it.

Natalie said...

Soooo great! Our current chart needs to be revised, so thanks for the ideas. Loved your Mother's Day post. Congrats on the table saw! Can't wait to see what you're going to create with it.

janeil said...

I found your blog by goggling chore charts and I LOVE yours!! Such a great idea I went to the store right away and got everything I needed to make the board and the magnets. Would you mind sharing where you got the pictures for your marbles I can’t find anything online as cute as yours. Thanks so much for the help and inspiration!!
Janeil

janeil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.