
The National Western Stock Show comes to town every year, and this year we decided to go to the rodeo! It was so much fun. I've
mentioned it before, but I definitely feel drawn to the rodeo/ranchers/cowboy hats/horses/etc. I'm a city girl through and through, but I think I must have been a barrel racer in my former life.
SIDENOTE: I love the blog by
The Pioneer Woman. She lives in a small town in Oklahoma, very near Pahuska. My grandmother grew up in and lives in Pawhuska. I'm just saying......I think I was supposed to be The Pioneer Woman.

The shuttle ride there set the mood for excitement and adventure. I'm not joking. They were loving the shuttle.


"We love your boots, Mindy!"
"Thanks, guys! I got them for $3 at a thrift store. Thanks for asking."


We were worried about how long the boys would last since the rodeo was 2 1/2 hours long. But they were entranced the entire time. They loved watching every event, and only got a little restless toward the middle. We rewarded them with snow cones and cotton candy, and that passed the time until the bull riding started.




Our camera right now is a piece of junk, so I didn't get great pictures of the events. Just this blurry one of a mass of people trying to capture little calves. I think my skin is toughening in regards to animal cruelty. It didn't bother me as much this time. I'm being converted to the Western Way.

I kind of got a little depressed while I was watching the events, though, because I was thinking that my boys should be riding horses. They should be on a ranch branding the cattle. They should be participating in the mutton bustin and anticipating the day when they can lasso a calf and wrestle it to the ground. They should be the famous "York Brothers" on the rodeo circuit. I had four
boys, for goodness sakes! What a life they could be leading in the heart of our country. Instead, I have four sweet boys who will grow up in the suburbs, like to play video games and build with Legos, and someday will apply to the Business School at BYU. I pondered it for hours, and concluded that, in the eternal perspective, it doesn't matter that they're not cowboys. But it would be pretty cool if they were.


Evidence, once again, that Kobe is the ideal audience member. He is so enthusiastic. I love it.

Tate was totally enthralled with the rodeo. We gave him suckers. Jakob and I were both amazed at how long he lasted. He was clapping and cheering and having a great time.


I hope to make this a yearly tradition. It was a blast!
8 comments:
So fun. I was so wanting to go to that this year. Maybe I ought to start looking for my cowboy boots now, for next year. Love yours!
glad your outfits you got at the thrift store got some use-love it all!
Um, are you kidding? Of course I remember you! Thanks for saying hi! Your boys are so cute! 4, huh? Must be busy!! :-)
I am loving your "cowboy" outfits...so worth the trip to/and obsession with the thrift store.
Looks like fun! I could never do it! You need to live closer so I can drop Theo off with you guys for events such as these (and camping) so he can be a real boy.
I'm with you! Sometimes I feel like my pack of boys ought to be a bit more manly than they are. They are afraid of dogs, any animal, really, they notice when things are "cute", and the thought of becoming a cowboy, or a sea captain, or mountain explorer has never crossed their minds. Thank goodness I guess. . . I don't want them doing anything dangerous, but sometimes I secretly wonder if it's my fault they aren't a little tougher!
So glad you had a nice time! The boys do look like they loved it. Hope you found boots for them. I am sorry I did not have the sizes you needed! (hope you got my text by the way about not having them!) I love the rodeo too! I think I could be a country girl too, if a big town was within 5 miles:) Love your boots and the boys shirts.
The get-up looks great. You look like true "could have been cowboys if things had turned our differently with my parents" kind of people.
Post a Comment