Friday, October 12, 2007

School Days


Last Thursday I went with Luke's Preschool to go and visit the fire station. I can't remember if I've ever been to a fire station before, so I really enjoyed going behind the scenes with the preschool. I think, even in adulthood, firemen are super cool. It was also good for me to spend some one-on-one time with Luke.

Here is Luke and his BFF, Kai, outside the station. It was so cute to watch him listen to the fireman's presentation. He was very quiet, very shy, and just listened intently the whole time. I loved when he would stop listening for a second and look around to try and find me. Then when he would see me, he'd get a little smile on his face. He's such a sweet boy.

Here's a picture of him just listening like he did the whole time. He's such a beautiful little boy and I love him so much. But I have to capture these moments at school on film, because at home there's rarely a time where he doesn't have his mouth open. Talking and eating are Luke's full time jobs.

Kobe is having a good time in school as well. I volunteer in his class, and his teacher's unstructured style drives me a little crazy, but he's only six and will survive this chaotic year. Our elementary school is extremely driven academically, and so I'm having some concerns about how intense it is. Kobe has always been a very bright boy, and he picked up on all of the letters and reading stuff in kindergarten. But I found that the minute he started doing well in one area, they would increase his level to a place where he would struggle.

I'm sure they see it as "challenging" them, but I think that, psychologically, he should be getting 'stars' and 100%'s on his work so that he can feel a positive association with learning. If he tries and tries and comes back with red marks all over his paper, I think he'd see no point in even trying. At least that is how I would've felt back in my school days.

For an example of this insaneness, here was Kobe's spelling words last week:

1. amusing
2. acquiring
3. blemish
4. curdling
5. boarding
6. blurring
7. bluish
8. lifelong
9. legally
10. lazily

I'm glad that they are being taught that some words end in 'ally' and some end in 'ily', but that there's no way to know the difference without years of reading and experience. He's only 6! So confusing.

And here's what he was tested on today:

1. mesmerize
2. fretful
3. ghetto
4. ginger
5. mellow
6. frankfurter
7. mentor
8. megaphone
9. petition
10. thinking

I had to give the test to his group today. I struggled for a long time trying to come up with a 1st grade politically correct example sentence for the word 'ghetto'. And petition?

Fortunately, Kobe is still a little young to be too traumatized by a 50% on his spelling test. But someday he might care. Or, even worse, maybe he'll get so accustomed to 50%'s that he won't care. But I guess we'll figure it out!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't little Lukey the cutest!! How fun the Fire Station is! Last year Willie was talking about being a fireman and he is a pretty cool dude!! That is great that you got to go with him, he is such a sweet little guy!


That is completely insane and you are totally right to be concerned over Kobe's spelling words. We are talking 2nd grade here. Are these the spelling words for all 2nd graders all over the states? That is just crazy.

Somehow I was able to publish my comment on Willie's blog using my account but can't remember what I even used so this will be anonymous again!

Stina said...

Great post! I would love it if my full time jobs were to eat and talk!

And I love some of those spelling words: frankfurter! ghetto! bluish! (is that even a word?)

I think it's great that they are challenging him so much. But spelling is one of those things that you just get or don't. I was always good at spelling but my husband who went to an Ivy League college and has a JD would probably get less than a 50% on the spelling test given those 20 words.

(Maybe watch the movies Spellbound or Akeelah and the Bee to get Kobe excited about spelling?)

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

I cannot believe those spelling lists...are they insane??? That list is totally inappropriate for first graders. I agree with you about the getting 100% vs. being challenged. Kids need to feel confident in their ability before they learn how to spell difficult words like that. Some kids are still learning to read and write let alone learning how to spell ghetto. CRAZY! Have you talked to his teacher about this? Is it her, or is it district wide?

D-dawg said...

Mindy, that is INSANE! Those words Kobe has are crazy... Lexi is in first and her words are nothing like that. I would feel upset too. But I guess we all get through school somehow.

Anonymous said...

Where is Mrs. Goodrich getting these lists?? I've only seen green (standard) and blue (advanced). MAYBE one or two kids in the class gets the blue list. I think pink is like the 4th grade list or something.

Willie said...

Yea, I've never done very well with spealing(sp?). Those words are defenniately(sp?) too hard for 2nd graders. So I was pretty inpressed(sp?) when Kobe was able to get at least half of them right. But yea, I agree that at his age he needs to be developing the habit of getting %100 on assignments and test rather than learning a few more words. Hop yu and yur famely hve a graet weak!!!

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Okay, so it is me again. I still am not over the spelling lists...Cory thinks it's crazy too. Anyway, I read your brother's comment and had to laugh...I see that FUNNY just runs in your family!
By the way, thanks for the painting tip, I did it and it worked. I am very happy with the result. I will post pictures soon.

Natalie said...

Holy hannah! First, Luke is sooo cute. His face in that picture just makes me melt. But those spelling words? I am stunned - especially for kids who are still mastering reading and writing. Those words are important to know how to spell, but maybe not quite yet. Geesh.