I just took Jude in to our Pediatrician today for a visit. I just wanted to clarify some things that I talked about with her. It turns out that the ER I took Jude to right after the accident is a very horrible environment. I kind of sensed that, but my doctor confirmed that it was the last place to go in an emergency. The nurse who had originally told me that it was fine for Jude to fall asleep was the nurse in triage of that ER. My doctor said that I did the right thing by not letting Jude fall asleep. She said that you should always try and keep your child awake after any sort of head injury. So I just wanted to let everyone know that because we all have or will have kids, and I wanted to make sure you try and keep your kids awake if they ever had a head injury.
The second thing my doctor and I talked about was how I responded to the accident. I love my doctor and she didn't say anything to me about this until I asked. But I told her about how I reacted to the accident and what she thinks I should have done differently. She said that this was a very serious injury and that it is a true miracle that Jude is okay. She said that, for something as severe as this, I should have definitely called an ambulance from home. I wasn't thinking clearly, of course, right after it happened. But I remember thinking that I could get him to a hospital faster than waiting for an ambulance to come. But she said that he should have been left at home and put in a neck brace. And that an ambulance should have driven him so that if he started to pass out, they could have tubed him, whatever that means, and tried to revive him. At the time I didn't even think he could have had serious brain damage, which he could have. Or spinal damage, which he could have. Or that he could have died, which he could have!
I just wanted to tell you all this so that you would have a plan if something similar happens. I'm always so worried about overreacting or making a big deal out of a small thing, but when it comes to your children's health, you can't be too careful or do too much.
Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hi Mindy - Thank you so much for finally blogging about everything that has been going on. We got an email from your mom but I have been checking your blog everyday to get the full scoop from you. Wow! And thank you for telling us what your pediatrician said - those are thing that I will remember forever. I was laughing so hard about the "jaw bra" part. I would not have been able to hold it in either. At least you can laugh at it :) Keep up with the news - I enjoy reading it. Sorry I am not that good at blogging.
Heather
Mindy, that is so good to know. Isn't it interesting that so many of the moms that posted in response to the incident said that they would have kept their child awake too? I tell you, I am continually amazed by parent's instincts. I am so glad that Jude is ok, and that there was no brain or spinal damage or worse! So glad! I also forgot to mention in your previous post that I loved Kobe's picture for Jakob. That note is priceless! And the picture of Jakob next to Jon Lovitz? Seriously, you have the best sense of humor.
Mindy I am glad to have those things cleared up. As a mom I just second guess myself so many times, but Natalie is right, we all have mother instinct and we should listen to it. I called an Ambulance when Macey fell and I always have felt sort of dumb about it but I really did think she was dying and that was my first thought to get help! Anyway, it is good to know that they suggest an ambulance in that situation. You really did a great job responding in every way. That is a HUGE traumatice experience and you really did everything right and got him the help he needed. It is so scary thinking about how fragile our little kids are. I'm so glad he's ok and so glad you have a nice doctor!!
I'm so glad you wrote and clarified about the staying awake thing. I remember reading your post and telling Dave specifically about that part and how your doctor said it was okay for Jude to fall asleep and both of us were surprised. I'm glad to know the truth! Isn't it scary how different doctors and hospitals can be? The best defense is to be informed and confident, and that is what I have learned from you from these recent incidents!
Hi Mindy, I am Nat's friend. I read what happened to your family and I am so sorry. I am glad Natalie gave me the head's up to read it because we are doing similar work in our house and I have learned from you and been putting our ladders down. I am so sorry you have had to go through so much. Thanks for all the advice on what to do. I am not good in emergencies, and I think you did an amazing job!
Thanks for the very important information! You NEVER know what is going to happen to these cute little guys we are responsible for. I am so impressed with how well you have handled everything. You are one strong woman!
Hey Min. You totally did your best and it was a lot better than most people would have. I kind of sensed that the ER was not up to notch but it is great that you know that from a different source. If you ever do have to call an ambulance you can request which hospital that you want to go to and they will take you there unless it is a matter of life and death. To tube him just means that if he would have stopped breathing they would put a tube down his nose to keep the air way open. I love you and thanks for keeping us posted.
Post a Comment