Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Going Green

'Going Green' is all the rage these days. And, although I haven't quite caught the vision or passion about the environment that I know I should, I am pleased to announce that I have been living pretty 'green' in many aspects already. So, without sounding too cocky I hope, I share with you the many ways I am already green:
  • To save energy, I avoid using my oven. It's really hard to restrain myself from cooking for my family, but if it means that we'll avoid global warming for one more day, then I'll make the sacrifice.

  • I reuse my Arrowhead water bottles many, many times. Many, many. Many.

  • Go as long as possible without showering. And only bathe the boys once a week, on Saturday night. If we miss their weekly bath on Saturday, then wait until the following Saturday to bathe them.

  • I avoid buying produce at all costs. You know, don't want to promote those pesky pesticides. I'll only buy vegetables or fruit in cases of emergency, such as having to provide snack for soccer or preschool. Or if I'm having a guest for lunch that I'm trying to impress.

  • Average only about one load of laundry a week. Re-wear clothes many, many times. Many, many. Many. In fact, as a general house rule we stay in our pajamas all day unless there is an appointment to go to.

  • Avoid using cleaning products as much as possible. I don't make 'cleaning' part of my daily/weekly routine so that the air in my home can be free of toxic chemicals. Unless the smell that results from my lack of cleaning is considered 'toxic'. Then I may have to rethink my strategy.

  • The boys also help in small ways, such as not flushing the toilet after they go to the bathroom to conserve energy and water. They are so ecologically aware.

  • Keep blinds in my home closed all day every day. This helps keep the sunlight out so that my home stays cool and I don't have to run the AC as much. This also gets me an extra phone call from my visiting teachers to make sure I'm okay, and not in a deep dark depression.

  • Only change Jude's diapers when he's poopy. (Is that a 5 lb. brick in your pocket, or have you been sitting in the same diaper all day?)

5 comments:

D-dawg said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! That is me laughing my head off right now! Thank you so much for reminding me of all of the ways that I, too, am going green! I'm really proud of you for being so enviromently aware.

Jamis said...

Very nice! I shared it with my coworker who also enjoyed the positive outlook on daily tasks or lack there of.

Stina said...

So funny. The sacrifices you make to be green are truly admirable. You should've been featured on Oprah last week on her 'going green' show!

Actually, to be serious, we went out and bought the CFL light bulbs after watching that show and can I just say - I hate them. They are sooo dim and take awhile to get to their full brightness and then cast a weird glow. I am considering changing them all back to regular lightbulbs. At least I tried, right?

Anonymous said...

I had no idea I was so green! I guess I never stopped long enough to think about it. :)

Natalie said...

Mindy, once again, my day was brightened with your classic humor. And, it also made me feel good to know that I don't even have to try that hard to be environmentally conscientious.