Well, homeowners insurance came to our rescue and hired some great restoration guys to come and get to the bottom of that mess. First problem to solve? Where is the leak coming from?
From a sewage pipe. From the sewage pipe that ran from our master bathroom down the kitchen wall and out to the sewer. What caused the leak in the pipe?
Oh, just a half-inch hole that had been drilled completely through the pipe by our home security system installer over a year ago.
He ran the wire to connect the alarm pad to our phone line directly through our sewage pipe. Silly goose! What was the damage?
You've seen the basement damage already. I didn't even realize that there was damage in the kitchen, but for the last year sewage water had been slowly leaking behind our kitchen cabinets, on our kitchen cabinets, and under our kitchen cabinets.
I know what some of you are thinking. "I ate over there!" "My baby crawled in that kitchen!" Yeah, sorry. But, if it makes you feel better, I hardly ever used any of the things I had stored in the damaged cabinets. It was mostly pie tins and bread pans. Pie and bread! Can you imagine? Like that will ever happen. They were really easy to part with.
The restoration guys cleaned, sanitized, and sealed the grossness. So don't be afraid to shake our hands at church.
So we had an estimator come and assess how much it would cost to fix our house. And by fix, he meant putting in some more super snazzy linoleum flooring, rebuilding our custom oak cabinets, and searching high and low to find a match for our pretty blue Formica countertops. And, wow, do those things cost a lot if you hire them out. Our insurance wrote us out a big, fat check for the repair and we decided to go at it alone. Because I think we can do anything.
(And I'm sure you're wondering if our home security company had to pay anything. Well, they have some pretty iron-clad liability contracts all their customers sign BEFORE they flood their homes with sewage water. But they did pay our $1,000 deductible. Roosters.)
So we have been very busy and stressed. Because I am an all-or-nothing kind of girl. We hired out someone to come and fix our drywall. And we found some inexpensive cabinets that are a pretty close match to ours at a cabinet warehouse.
We needed new countertops. We don't have enough for stone countertops yet, so we needed a temporary solution. And these pre-fabs were on clearance for 75% off, so we had to buy them all up right then. And store them in our front room for eternity.
But before we put on new countertops, I wanted to cut down this half-wall that divides the kitchen from the eating area. Some people love these. In fact, I just read a blog of someone who DIYed a half-wall to divide her kitchen from her eating area. But I don't love it! I love the idea of a great room where we're all together socializing. Not being half-hidden in the kitchen. Plus, I want a great big countertop space for hosting and stuff. So we shortened the wall and still need to flip the two electrical outlets to the other side.
Next we needed new flooring. I wanted laminate flooring. But if we do laminate flooring, we need to do it throughout the entire main floor of the house now, because it will be too hard to match up later. And this flooring was on clearance, so we had to buy 100 boxes and store them in our front room for eternity.
But before we do the flooring, we need to paint our kitchen cabinets. But before we paint our kitchen cabinets, I wanted to add molding to the top and bottom like the tutorial here. I love it. I can't wait to paint it.
And before we do our flooring, we needed to relocate the floor vent in front of the dishwasher to a cabinet toe-kick. Because why, builders? Why?
We were lucky because this vent ran over a soffit in our basement, so we were able to just use flexible pipe to stretch it under a floor joist and move it to the right and back a little.
And before we install our new cabinets, we needed to replace some sub floor that the restoration guys didn't install correctly (we were bouncing up and down in a certain part of our kitchen). And then when we moved our dishwasher away, our copper water line began leaking so we had to replace it with the new, flexible kind.
And then when I did go to install a cabinet, I realized that they were all 1/2 inch taller than our existing cabinets. Oops. They should all be the same, standard height, right?!? So then I had to cut them all down 1/2 an inch.
It's just been one thing after the other. Our front room has also been our makeshift kitchen area for FOUR WEEKS! So after two months of having our kitchen torn apart, here is what our kitchen looks like today:
You guys. It's a nightmare. We've been without a dishwasher for three days now, and I've learned that I cannot hand wash dishes. I just won't. I used to be able to, Jakob, too, but now we just can't do it. We're learning a lot about ourselves during this process.
This is why I haven't invited anyone over, blogged, or returned anyone's calls or emails. I've been busy and stressed. And feeling super guilty. I'm sorry. But we're almost done. We're close. Kind of.
We're super grateful that we are able to make these changes because we could've never afforded it without that clumsy security installer, bless his heart. That sewage water was just one of the many miracles we are granted each day.
19 comments:
wow. i am stressed just looking at the pictures! you are so awesome! keep truckin' along..you are doing great! can't wait for the after pictures :)
oh my goodness that does look stressful! i am so impressed you guys are doing that all on your own...you are amazing! i'm sure it'll look so great when you're done. i love your new blog design!
the blog looks great, not that it really matters in the eternities. your kitchen is going to be amazing! Keep trucking along! Oh, and can we borrow some of those tools when we decide to redo our kitchen? Pretty please? :) I can't wait to see the finished project!
This post reminds me of "If you give a mouse a muffin" great book, great life. Look at all the memories you are makin! Hang in there, it will be worth it in the end.
Are you kidding me?!?! I am stressed reading that post. What/how are you guys eating in the meantime? I wish I was there to help you and bring you some meals! You guys are the ultimate DIYers; I can't wait to see your fabulous finished product! (Also, I love the new blog design!)
Washing dishes by hand is the worse! I hear ya. I can't wait to see your new kitchen when everything is done.Maybe we can make You have such good taste and you are super good at finding great deals. I can't believe that guy drilled a hole in your sewage pipe. What the heck was he thinking!?
worst! I meant to say worst instead of worse.
I am stressing out just looking at the photos. I admire your desire and ability to do it your self. I can't wait to see the after shots.
It was so great seeing you last week! Sorry we had to rush off.
Oh my. I'm exhausted now. But very impressed! You guys are amazing DIYers.
And I still cannot believe that guy drilled a hole through your sewage pipe. Who hires these people??
Good luck! It'll all be wonderful.
Wow. Whenever I get discouraged about how extremely long projects take...I have to think about the money we're saving by doing it ourselves. Props to you. You deserve your own show on HGTV.
I know you don't think you are, but you guys are AMAZING!! You really are. I wouldn't have any idea how to even begin to do a single step of your huge project! And what's worse, I would never even try to learn! I'm so impressed that you guys take the initiative to figure things out and learn how to DIY.
that is crazy! and I can NOT believe that the guy drilled a hole through it. Really?!?!? Ah, that would make me so frustrated. I am in awe with all that is going on. Hopefully it will be over soon and you will love the new kitchen. I also hope you have switch over to paper plates and plastic spoons by now.
Wow, that would be frustrating, but it will be so nice to have a new kitchen. You guys are doing great. I look forward to seeing the finished kitchen post.
pretty sure that would ruin my marriage. you're a patient duo. and do you want dinner brought over sometime?
Wow. I am so sorry! That makes the funky mushroom mold even grosser... On the bright side, you sound like a pro! Soffit? Sub floor? Are you a contractor? Cuz you sound like one! :) Hope it all comes together soon. I could live without a lot of things, but having to deal with no kitchen for an extended period of time would be the worst! We are about to paint our kitchen cabinets and redo the countertops too. And by "about", I mean, I've thought about it, and would like to do it. Someday. When I get brave enough to live without a functioning kitchen for a while. Maybe the cabinet colors aren't THAT bad . . . Good luck! Wish I were around to help!
If you would like your loving visiting teacher to come wash your dishes for you just say the word! :)
Oh Mindy! Bless your sweet heart! I wish I could have been there to help out with meals and kids or something! I hope that nightmare is over. Does the security company have liability for that at all???
"This too shall pass"...which is what everyone said to me while we were in the middle of our own renovation process, and it is actually true! I admire you guys for doing it yourself and I can't wait to see the outcome! I am definitely an all-or-nothing person as well so I would be attacking this project with the same intensity as you are! I hope it all works out!
And thanks for stopping by and checking out my bathroom renovation! I appreciate the kind words. I actually don't have a close-up of the dowel rod with me, but I will definitely take a shot and email it to you soon! A friend of mine had suggested it to me during the planning process and I thought she was crazy....but it worked!! Who knew?
Thanks again and good luck with your projects. I will keep checking in on your progress. :)
OK - seriously, alarm installer guy? And seriously, home builders? What were they thinking?
You & Jakob are up for the task. You amaze me with all you accomplish. And it's so good that you're documenting the "before" because you'll be even more impressed with youselves when the "after" pics are taken.
We had a half wall between our kitchen and dining area, too. We tore it out and have never looked back - best decision we made for that space. It made our kitchen seem like a huge, open space. Perfect for a family.
Love your new blog look. And you look so beautiful in the family wedding photos.
We need to live closer. I could bring you a bunch of dinners. And your kids could play over here so you could get lots done on your kitchen. :)
Post a Comment