Friday, February 06, 2009

Because I Should

I know I should post a blog. I haven't been great about posting, and I feel like I should probably post one today. But I don't really have a specific purpose to this post. I guess I'll just empty my head a little bit.

*January is such a hard month for me. It always is. It just weighs on my mood, energy, and motivation. I'm never great about posting in January and......what? It's February? Doesn't February just feel like January #2? For me it does. Maybe that's why they threw Valentine's day in there to try and break up the dreary months.

*For over a week now my heart has been overflowing with gratitude for a certain group of people. These people are the ones who flash their headlights at you as you pass them to let you know that there is a cop up ahead. Who are these angels? What motivates them to perform such a selfless act of service as this? This little gesture could save me a significant amount of money as well as the burden of traffic school. These people give me hope in humanity. It makes me feel like we're all on the same team, just helping each other to get through it all.

(Is the gesture of warning oncoming traffic about a cop illegal? I understand there may be a moral conflict in warning people who are speeding about a cop. But I stand by my above glorification of the action.)

*Jakob and I are going to celebrate 10 years of marriage this June. I've been thinking a lot about 10 years being married. It is wonderful and exciting....but isn't marriage hard? I know it's super taboo to blog about the tough side of marriage, and Jakob and I are actually super in love right now (Hi, Honey!), but, for me, marriage is a constant endeavor of trying to make things better than they are. And I just can't believe that after 10 years together there is still so much to work on. And that after 50 years together we'll still be working. I know that's how it's supposed to be. There have been a few times where marriage was smooth sailing, but those were usually times we were being tried in other arenas. Wah-wah.

*Did you guys know that Jakob gives me back massages at least 2-3 times a week? I just can't believe how lucky I am sometimes.

*I have a really hard time falling asleep at night. It has been like this for awhile. Every time my head hits the pillow, my mind starts racing. Sometimes I can't fall asleep for hours, even though I know I am very tired. I'm guessing maybe one reason for this is that I'm rarely alone with my thoughts all day, so there's no holding them back in the silence of my bedroom at night. Sometimes I try to hold very still and force all my thoughts on my breathing in and out. It rarely works.

*I am very good at identifying my feelings. For example, I know that I don't like to call babysitters because if they can't do it, I take the rejection very personally and it hurts my feelings. I also know that I don't like to drive because I am constantly trying to be the perfect driver and not make any mistakes because I don't want anyone to be mad at me and this is extremely exhausting.

For the most part, I know why I feel the way I do. But I cannot figure out why I don't like Facebook. But I really, really don't like Facebook. And I don't know why!

Believe me, I've tried to sort it out. I've heard it referred to multiple times as 'The Poor Man's Blog' or 'The Lazy Man's Blog'. I believe that's true. But that's not why I hate it. I know that I find it to be super juvenile and it reminds me of middle and high school. I sense competitiveness and judgment. "Will you be my friend?" But, this doesn't bother anyone else but me. And EVERYONE is on Facebook, not just immature people. I have no idea why it bothers me. I did spend over an hour on Facebook under Christina's account while she was here and found it very addictive. But I felt like a dirty spy afterwards. I just don't like Facebook.

To end this post on a high note, I'm going to borrow two posts from my friends' blogs that were awesome and uplifting for me. The first is a quote that Jill posted on her blog:

“You are here on earth for a divine purpose. It is not to be endlessly entertained or to be constantly in full pursuit of pleasure. The Lord is intent on your personal growth and development. When you trust in the Lord, when you are willing to let your heart and your mind be centered in His will, when you ask to be led by the Spirit to do His will, you are assured of the greatest happiness along the way and the most fulfilling attainment from this mortal experience. If you question everything you are asked to do, or dig in your heels at every unpleasant challenge, you make it harder for the Lord to bless you”.
~Elder Richard G Scott


And here is a video that a different Jill posted on her blog that was very inspiring:


That's it for me!

10 comments:

Rachel B. said...

Yay, a fellow facebook non-lover! I've thought about posting about my dislike for it myself, but wondered if it was too risky of a subject. ;) I just think it's lame. I try and I try to like it, but I just can't. So and so sent me a "butterfly." What the?! Please send this little green plant back to me to save the planet. Are we suddenly in a land of make believe? I too feel like it's just so juvenile. Alright, I'll stop my rant now, but I just can't get into it.

And I so love the cop warners. They really are the best!

Stina said...

Glad to see a new post! It is always interesting to me to hear what is going on in your head, but I hope that you don't feel obligated to post if you don't want to. Hope your February is getting better!

Jill said...

I liked this post...any post is a good one!

Olivia said...

My name is Olivia and I am a former Facebook addict.

After awhile it loses it's charm, but I still check it once in a while to update my status. Usually it says "Olivia is tired" or "Olivia is sick" Very exciting.

I am also pleased to hear of your love for "Cop-Warners." I hesitate to admit that I am one of them, and I have always been one. I think it comes from my teenage rebellion years where I was almost brainwashed by all my stupid friends into hating cops. I don't hate cops. But I do hate that they hide behind bushes and give out speeding tickets for going ten miles over. Chase the REALLY fast speeders, cops!!! Anyway, I will continue to flash my lights whenever I see a cop waiting to catch someone speeding in hopes to meet their ticket quota for the month, all the while knowing that I have your blessing. Yay! And I totally agree about February and January. They STINK. (By the way, We need to get together--it's been to long!)

sari said...

Mindy, Mindy, Mindy-- I just love you blog and I find the blogs where you don't have anything in mind really interesting. I like facebook, am I allowed to say that? Where else would I find my long lost, out of the closet, vote no on prop 8, gay friends from high school. seriously, it has its pros and cons for me. Big time waster and it irritates me at how some people turned out, but I have found some old roommates and friends. I think its a good way to keep in touch with some of my old Young Women. So, hate me if you must, but I will still like you. Oh and the babysitter thing, I totally understand. Only mine is worse, I won't invite people over to dinner unless I know that their schedule is completely empty and they won't reject me. We'll have to discuss this further at card group. Have a great one.

Natalie said...

I have lots of thoughts about this post.

*Yes, February is totally January #2

*I have the same problem with falling asleep because my thoughts keep me up for hours! Such a pain.

*Happy 10 year anniversary!!

*Facebook is totally addictive. Sometimes it is so weird for me to see people on there that I was so happy to get away from.

*That quote was great.

*Oh, and I love that you post your boys' milestones. Tate is darling, and that is such a great record to have.

sari said...

I loved the talk. I think I might steal it in hopes that a few people who follow my blog will watch. thanks

Marcia said...

You have such a great way in expressing what we all are feeling. I HATE facebook too. Of course I have an account and keep adding friends when they request to be my friend but it almost seems like a competition to see who can have the most friends, or how many people can you locate from your earlier years. I think it's silly. I much prefer blogging too. Keep us posted about Marcie's baby. When is she due?

Becky said...

I'm a facebook hold-out, too, despite the pressure to join.

Michiko said...

I don't think there are actually that many people out there searching for me, so I have no desire to join and affirm those beliefs!

Ignorance, yo . . .